Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help required please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csteve2409

Hi to everyone.

I wonder if anyone can help me with what must be a simple answer but can't find any reference or real help on the web?

I'm looking to build an American Don't Walk / Walk pedestrian crossing light. I am looking for the Dont Walk sign to light up for ten seconds and then change to the walk sign for ten seconds. That's about it but I can't find any reference to building a circuit that has this amount of delay time between the alternating led lights. I brought the build it yourself alternating kit but the max amount time each lights up is only about 5 seconds. I'm not the best soldering so any advice on how I can do this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Welcome to ETO!
I brought the build it yourself alternating kit but the max amount time each lights up is only about 5 seconds.
Can you post a schematic of the circuit you used?

Hello, many thanks for your reply.

This is the copy of the details you get with the Vellemans kit.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 119
The Velleman's circuit is not ideal for long time delays, but you could try either :
1) replacing R3 and R4 with 270kΩ resistors, or
2) replacing C1 and C2 with 33uF electrolytic capacitors.

Thank you so much.

It does not have to be exactly 10 seconds, just around that sort of time delay between each LED lighting. In fact it could be longer. I had looked at a 555 chip (is that correct?) but truthfully I'm a bit lost when it comes to these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back