Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help repairing samsung ps-42p3s plasma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repair-me

This is a total mystery....my luck with Samsungs. They always give me trouble, recently my brothers Samsung gave way. It is the ps-42p3s. Abit old but reliable until now. The power light was flashing so I assumed it had something to do with the psu. Once opened, I found all the major caps bubbled up. Almost like they where going to explode. So I replaced them all. And tried to turn on the TV. No luck. So I thought ill trace the power, so I traced the vs. to the switching transistor 2sk2372. And found that there is no power after it but before it there is power. Assuming that it was damaged I replaced it with a new one. And still no power,. I don't know why, however I think it might be possible that its the ic controller ir2109 that turns on the 2sk2372, still im lost at this point and don't know where to go from here. I have the diagrams below. Take a look and tell me what your opinions are?

**broken link removed**

click here for a big picture of the diagram

Last edited:
wtf is wrong with the samsung people, all the samsung psu's have 4 fan outputs, to run 4 fans, and not one samsung plasma ive seen actually have fans!!!. no wonder failer is easy.

hey people, i found the issue, its the polyester cap. but i have a problem.

the original one is P0.22K400 by shinshin

im assuming 22k is 220nk.. i can't find 400v so i replaced it with a 630v

apart from the voltage. do you think this will work, is 22k the same as 220nk?? see picture below.
**broken link removed**

also i find that this new part gets warm/hot but the plasma works fine.

is it normal for a .22uf cap to get hot?

Last edited:
hey people, i found the issue, its the polyester cap. but i have a problem.

the original one is P0.22K400 by shinshin

im assuming 22k is 220nk.. i can't find 400v so i replaced it with a 630v

It's not '22K' it's '0.22K' = 0.22uF (so 220nF).

apart from the voltage. do you think this will work, is 22k the same as 220nk?? see picture below.
**broken link removed**

also i find that this new part gets warm/hot but the plasma works fine.

is it normal for a .22uf cap to get hot?

These capacitors pass all the current through the transformer, so they do tend to get hot - however, it's essential that you use a capacitor that's suitable for this type of use, or it's likely to have a short life.

It's not '22K' it's '0.22K' = 0.22uF (so 220nF).

These capacitors pass all the current through the transformer, so they do tend to get hot - however, it's essential that you use a capacitor that's suitable for this type of use, or it's likely to have a short life.

See I couldn't find a 0.22uf 400v cap, so I went to radio shack and found a 0.22uf 630v but the weird thing is its smaller than the original 400v which you would think being a higher voltage normally means being bigger. It does get hot and there is allot of people on the internet complaining of this particular part failing, so I put a fan on top to get the hot air out. :)

If I was to get a higher voltage or make them parallel would this make them stronger with less heat. (Only so it lasts longer)

I siliconed them in so they don’t vibrate and fall out, and I also installed fans in the casing right above the caps. So it takes all the heat out instead of letting it sit there.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Caps for Samsung TV

I'm having the same issue with a Samsung TV. My cap actually had the internals oozing out the side. Here is a website with the correct replacements.

Click Capacitors.
Click the expand button beside Orange Drop
Click the expand button beside 716P
Click 400 volt
On the right of the screen select the proper cap.

SBE 716P High Performance Orange Drop Capacitors - 400 Volts

I'm having the same issue with a Samsung TV. My cap actually had the internals oozing out the side. Here is a website with the correct replacements.

Click Capacitors.
Click the expand button beside Orange Drop
Click the expand button beside 716P
Click 400 volt
On the right of the screen select the proper cap.

SBE 716P High Performance Orange Drop Capacitors - 400 Volts

i replaced them with your local electronics shop, however they only had them in 630v .22uf, so i got them, but they get extremely warm. and when i compair them to the newer samsung plasma tv;s they don't get warm in other samsungs (higher than s3) so my guess is it hasn't fixed the cause and that there is alot of resistance on them. however the tv is still working. :)

i was thinking about trying to get them with a even higher voltage rating so they can last alittle longer than a month.

Hello,

I read your post dealing with your samsung plasma fix.
I think I'm encountering the same issue you were.

Here is the problem I have :
when I switch on the TV, the red light is flashing, but no image is displayed on the screen (during powering on, the tv makes the little sound -like a little "schtack"- you can hear usually when a screen is powering on, like a starter => normal).
I can only hear the sound of the program chanel and use my remote (change chanel, increase, decrease sound volume etc. are working), but the screen is always black.
I opened the TV, I saw a Samsung 450V ; 330µF ; 105°C capacitor that was bulbed (the one that is just on the right of the red circle you drew). I'm about to buy some capacitors.

Could you tell me how should I proceed to check I have the same problem on the same components ?
What did you measure exactly ? => where, how, what (I'm not used to do electronic troubleshooting)

Remark :
When i opened the tv, I saw a SW2000 switch on the mainboard (just beside the logic+digital board panel, under the power supply). I guessed it was a reset / clear cmos switch and i (wtf) clicked it twice. Since then, when i put on the tv, there is no sound anymore (perhaps just chanel detection is lost?) and moreover, i can't put it off anymore (remote and tv buttons don't seem to operate)...
What do you think about it ?
What should I do ?

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for my English... I'm not english spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back