Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Please. Circuit design

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalsoul21

:idea: im working on a project and i need a circuit to drive a 8.63v (9v)bulb really brite maybe a 1000mA more or less.using one or two 9v batteries for supply i was trying to use the transformer from a camara flash a npn transistor a capacitor and some resistors.but the fact is i don't know what the hell im doing :( ,can someone help me and make me a diagram.i don't have much money to spend to get it done.
any help is much apprieciated thanks.

Bulbs

What kind of bulb is it ? If its an incandescent one you can very easily blow them up by over-powering them. The current through the bulb is limited by the bulbs resistance. So to get lots of current through it you need more voltage to overcome the resistance...... And too much current means youll get a *reaaalllly* bright flash, for a fraction of a second then your bulb will pop :(

Really depends on what type of bulb you wish to light though.

-Chris

Right. 9 volt/DC bulbs are rated for brightness - just like the AC bulbs you use around the house (you know, rated in watts). If you want a bright bulb, you buy a bright bulb. Overpowering your existing bulb with a big powersupply will result in a really bright bulb for less than 1 second (e.g., using two 9-volt batteries will just blow out your bulb)

A little more information would be helpful.

It is possible to overvolt LEDs for milliseconds before dropping the voltage/current to within normal values for the remainder of the cycle. This is done with an IC or homebrew circuitry that charges capacitors so that the current/voltage for the overvolt portion is available when needed - charging of the capacitor(s) is done during the "off" part of the cycle so the arrangement presumes that the light is going on an off. Note that the folks who figured out how to do this probably ruined a fair share of LEDs before coming to a value that allows reasonable life and the desired brightness.

For what it's worth a camera flash typically uses high voltage and low current - it would seem unlikely that the camera flash output would be any use on a 9 volt bulb (unless the bulb has failed and you get a spark to jump).

Give us a little more detail about what you are trying to do. Experimenting can be fun and educational but remember that safety is important.

Gene said:
Right. 9 volt/DC bulbs are rated for brightness - just like the AC bulbs you use around the house (you know, rated in watts). If you want a bright bulb, you buy a bright bulb. Overpowering your existing bulb with a big powersupply will result in a really bright bulb for less than 1 second (e.g., using two 9-volt batteries will just blow out your bulb)

thanks for the info guys,it is an incandecent bulb at 500mA i just thought that if i used a transformer to increase the power to increase the current to get more mA than i could apply voltage drop back to 9v.this is the brightest bulb i radio shack has

thanks,and yes safety comes before all,it's for a toy and deffinatly has to be safe.it's just that the light from the bulb is too faint,i thought a circuit could increase the milliampheres a bit to increase the brightness of the incandecent lamp,i tried a number of bulbs,and this is the brightest i could find for 9v.

Kiss method. keep it simple (stupid)

hehe
just get a higher voltage / wattage lamp and use more 9v batterys. otherwise, why do you need suck a bright light? what the matter with using several flashlights ducttaped togehter? why it the final goal for this?

Jaw174 said:
Kiss method. keep it simple (stupid)

hehe
just get a higher voltage / wattage lamp and use more 9v batterys. otherwise, why do you need suck a bright light? what the matter with using several flashlights ducttaped togehter? why it the final goal for this?

well i probably will use a halogen bulb from the headllight from a car,i think this will be my best bet,but the batteries wont last that long,thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back