Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on doing Keyless Ignition for automotive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anhhau

Hi there, my name is Aaron and I'm searching "keyless ignition on google got me to this site." Hopefully some of you expert at electronic project can shed me some light on this matter. I tried using the search forum for this project but nothing came up that seems helpful. I have a 1995 mazda miata and I would like to turn on the car engine with a remote instead of the key. So if any of you know how to do this please show me or if you can link me to a thread that shows this it would be great. Please dont flame at me for not using the forum search because i tried using it and didn't get any helpful threads. =)

Google "remote starter". They are $60 here:
**broken link removed**

Or, do you want an electronic project and the starter is just one project out of many that appealed to you? If so, I would recommend starting with something simplier and safer. John

Something to consider: make sure you have a safety switch that will only start the car while it's in neutral (assuming it's a manual). I've seen some ugly results from remote starters that didn't have said switch.

anhhau said:
Hi there, my name is Aaron and I'm searching "keyless ignition on google got me to this site." Hopefully some of you expert at electronic project can shed me some light on this matter. I tried using the search forum for this project but nothing came up that seems helpful. I have a 1995 mazda miata and I would like to turn on the car engine with a remote instead of the key. So if any of you know how to do this please show me or if you can link me to a thread that shows this it would be great. Please dont flame at me for not using the forum search because i tried using it and didn't get any helpful threads. =)

Aaron... Aaron Cake? no wait he likes RX7s.

Anyway the best answer is buy a remote car starter as they're not that expensive and would certainly cost less than building one from scratch. The encryption alone would boggle most newcomers.
But if you want to do it I suggest google "microchip keeloq"

Darth Bagel said:
Something to consider: make sure you have a safety switch that will only start the car while it's in neutral (assuming it's a manual). I've seen some ugly results from remote starters that didn't have said switch.
My first car had a manual transmission. When I ran out of gas (frequently) I used the starter motor to get it to the next gas station. I frequently changed into 2nd gear while propelled by the starter motor (it moved quickly).
I learned to keep the gas tank full on newer automatic transmission cars.

Thx guys for the fast replies, i'll probably consider buying the kit for 60$ instead of doing it from scratch because i'm not that great with eletronics myself.

Hi there John, i went to the site you provided , but it said for automatic transmission only. My car is manual. I tried looking for a manual from the site but had no luck, if you find one for manual transmission plz tell me . =) Thx alot

A manual tranni may be a problem. Automatics stop in P, which not only keeps the car from rolling, but acts like N for the transmission to turn over without moving the car.

You could leave your car in neutral and start it remotely, or maybe build a complicated automated clutch and gear shifter. Leaving it in neutral is probably safer, if your parking brake works well and you block the tires for safety.

Overall, I don't think I would recommend a remote started for a manual transmission car. Hire someone to go out in the bad weather and start it for you. :)

Remote starts do exist for manual transmissions. Unfortunately I cant provide a link right now, but how they usually work is that before you exit the car you have to put the car in neutral and leave the engine running, then press some button on the remote. This enables the remote start. You pull out the key, get out of the car (the engine keeps running), close the door, lock it and press button on remote again. At this point the engine switches off and you are able to start the car using the remote when you return.

If you do not follow this procedure when exiting the car the remote start will not work. It seems like a lot of trouble, but its to ensure the car is in neutral when you start it.

Google "remote start manual transmission" and look through the results. There are many different options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back