Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help! Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

umamakesh

hello,
i am a mechanical engineering student working on a project for building a laundry folding machine for rosedale school, a school for Mentally challenged children. We are building this as a part of motivating the children in the daily activities.

lemme come to the point. as our design requires we need to control 2 stepper motors sequentially. example, motor1 should go 4000 steps in CW direction and then Motor 2 needs to go 200 steps CW direction. Once this is finished the motor 2 goes 200 steps in CCW direction. After that Motor1 goes 4000 steps in CCW. to do this sequencing and control of stepper motors we got a TCkit microcontroller from https://www.proteanlogic.com/tickit/t74GSP_HTML_Cutsheet.htm donated.

As we are mechanical engineering students we dont have a basis in the circuit design. Can u help us in designing the circuit for controlling motors using a microcontroller. I can give u the motor details if u need it

Uma

umamakesh said:
hello,
i am a mechanical engineering student working on a project for building a laundry folding machine for rosedale school, a school for Mentally challenged children. We are building this as a part of motivating the children in the daily activities.

lemme come to the point. as our design requires we need to control 2 stepper motors sequentially. example, motor1 should go 4000 steps in CW direction and then Motor 2 needs to go 200 steps CW direction. Once this is finished the motor 2 goes 200 steps in CCW direction. After that Motor1 goes 4000 steps in CCW. to do this sequencing and control of stepper motors we got a TCkit microcontroller from https://www.proteanlogic.com/tickit/t74GSP_HTML_Cutsheet.htm donated.

As we are mechanical engineering students we dont have a basis in the circuit design. Can u help us in designing the circuit for controlling motors using a microcontroller. I can give u the motor details if u need it

Uma

motors aren't easy to control digitally, so you need an interface between the uC's (microcontroller's) output and the motors. an H-bridge might work.

then use any microcontroller, and connect the output pin(s) to the above mentioned interface, then to the motor(s).

Now write a program that works with the microcontroller.

You will need to use alot of loops and jumps.

treat the outputs as binary. when any output is "1", the motor is on.

thanks....for that reply....

I can understand the methodology....but how should we go about the interface design and circuitry... is it easier do....i tried googling but dint get anything specific to wat we need. the online circuits are using PIC micro controller which is a 28 pin one, What we are gettin is TICkit controller which has 40 pins. so the interfacce circuit in the net is difficult for us to modify for this microcontroller

Thank You.

There are special IC's out there for stepper motor control. We used one in my microcontrollers class, but all we had to do was set the direction to step (1 or 0 on a pin of the chip), then give it a pulse on another pin. Every pulse caused the stepper motor to advance one step.

Do you have the specs on the motors (voltage and current rating)?

Are there any EE's or CE's at your school that would be able to help?

**broken link removed**

This is the motor we are getting it at a low cost. we have ordered a unipolar motor. THis one has to rotate 4000 steps......

**broken link removed**

this one is the 2 nd motor.....we have orderd a unipolar motor........this one has to rotate 100 or 200 steps depending upon the gearing we choose

Can u tell me more about the IC, the cost, the specs, where to buy and stuff....we do have EE students too but they re nt into this project....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back