Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed please to choose a suitable PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljcox

I need a PIC with the following attributes.
One that I can write assembly programmes using MPLAB IDE. I don't have the time to learn the MPLAB Xpress.
A 40 pin DIP package that has at least 16 i/o with Interrupt on Change. (I need at least 28 i/o in total)
An internal oscillator would be ideal, but not essential. I can use a crystal if necessary.

The osc frequency is not critical. Anything from 32 kHz upwards.

I have searched the Microchip web site for a list of the attributes of the various PICs.
Such a list may exist, but I could not find anything useful.

Any assistance will be appreciated.
Len

Have a look at the 16F1789 - it is supported in MPLAB and has IOC on all I/O.

Mike.

Thanks Mike. However, I use WINPIC for burning the programmes into the PIC.

I could not see that PIC in the WINPIC list. I'll download another copy of WINPIC & see if it is a later version. If so, it may have that PIC.
Len

Len,

If Winpic doesn't support it then do yourself a favour and get a PicKit3 so you can debug as well. They can be had on ebay for under $15 For Example.

Mike.

A long time since I used WinPic but seem sure I programmed my 18F4520 chips on it, which fit your requirements and more.

The 18F range has the advantage of easier memory usage and extra features over the older 16F chips; makes Assembly coding a lot easier.

Agree with Pommie a Pk3 or even the trusty old Pic2 should be a worthwhile purchase, Microchip or Far East clone, or even DIY if you search this forum many plans for a Pickit2 - Search 'BlueRoom' and ' Pickit2'

minipk2.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. After much consideration of them & the various options, I have decided to not use relays & use 2 16F1708 PICs as they have sufficient pins & IOC on every pin.

I will also buy a PicKit3.
Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back