Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP ME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aibelectronics

can anyone tell me why my dos (on windows Xp) is calling my "edit" and "edlin" bad commands. When i type dir config.sys or dir autoexec.bat it says files not found.

some weeks ago before i experience the problem if i made a directory on dos(cd/, md name, cd name, edit topic) it'll turn the whole keyboard upside down so i can't write my code. :cry: the distressing thing is that the dos works somewhat well on my windows 98. Have I damaged my autoexec.bat? Do i need to reinstall my dos?

What could this message mean: application failed to start because framedyn.dll was not found? I got this when i right-clicked "my computer " icon.

boy i'm in a real fix and i'll appreciate your soonest replies.

aibelectronics said:
can anyone tell me why my dos (on windows Xp) is calling my "edit" and "edlin" bad commands. When i type dir config.sys or dir autoexec.bat it says files not found.

Probably because XP doesn't run on top of DOS (supposedly!), so you don't have the DOS commands there.

no, no, no. I think i recall using the commands sometime ago. i was actually trying to create a file on the dos so as to use my turbo c to compile it.
i don't like dos it's just the circumstances that force me to use it.

Re: reply

aibelectronics said:
no, no, no. I think i recall using the commands sometime ago. i was actually trying to create a file on the dos so as to use my turbo c to compile it.
i don't like dos it's just the circumstances that force me to use it.

How are you getting into DOS?, apparently XP has a simulated 'DOS window' system, which allows you to run some DOS programs.

You're probably not calling those commands from the directory where they are located and you haven't added that directory to the command path.

Mike

dos

I believe simply typing c: in front of the default directory would take you to c, for example? I always do that.
I access dos through "run" by simply typing command <enter>.

Re: dos

aibelectronics said:
I believe simply typing c: in front of the default directory would take you to c, for example? I always do that.

The DOS commands aren't stored in the root directory of C:, assuming they are stored anywhere on XP?. In Win98 they are located in C:\Windows\Command - and this is included in the Path so it's found from anywhere. As 'upand_at_them' says, if you're not in the correct directory, or it's not included in the Path, then the commands won't be found.

For a start I would suggest making sure that the DOS commands are on your drive somewhere?, you can use 'Find' to do that.

aibelectronics said:
Why not type straight into the console? Also, I don't quite get what you are trying to say. I'm on winxp, and those commands above work fine in my console.

The files you want are in the system32 folder...

When you start your dos console type:
Code:
path = %path%;c:\windows\system32

(assuming your windowsXP folder is c:\windows)
now your edit, edlin, etc commands will work...

Chances are that the win32 system path is already in the path environemental variable. You can easily check using
Code:
echo %path%
The problem is most probably due to the fact that he enters command through the "Run" window, which executes instructions in the wrong directory.

checkmate said:
aibelectronics said:
Why not type straight into the console? Also, I don't quite get what you are trying to say. I'm on winxp, and those commands above work fine in my console.

I also use xp. Probably that seals my fate: my dos is faulty!
Thanks exo I'll try it and see what i'll come up with.

Yeah sure! your dos is faulty..What it's doing is looking for the right commands in the wrong places..

Windows 98 had config.sys and autoexec.bat. But what XP has is config.nt and autoexec.nt... Your %systemroot% most have changed from c:/windows/system32 to something else

Your options are:
1. Change it back using
Code:
path = %path%;c:\windows\system32

Or
2. Repair your windows XP installation... You won't lose any programs or files. PROMISE!! :wink:

i know of 1 thing you are doing wrong, and it might be your whole problem.

you are typing Command from run, but in XP that opens "command.com"

try typing CMD to run "cmd.exe"

hope it helps..

Command.com and cmd.exe should do the same thing. I have XP and have no problem running "edit" and "edlin" from either "command.com" or "cmd.exe".

Mike

What response you get when you try to invoke edit?

is it
'edit' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Or something else?

dos

Thanks guys. I've finally been able to run my turbo C, but this was on windows 98. I did a slight trouble shooting, 'exo' gave me, by re-installing my framedyn.dll(hope I got that correct) and my commands are working once again.
But when I use edit (edit is working now :D ) to create a file on XP I receive a message that my keyboard code, or something like that, is faulty. Such that whatever I type is just strange symbols which even myself I can't recognise :?
Why is my keyboard working fine on 98 but not working fine on xp?
Thanks for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back