Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me find this diode please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivoidwarranties

721CDB4E-B1E5-47CD-854E-0F11968B5DBE.jpeg
Hello everyone, my name is Dennis and I am rebuilding a 1977 Porsche 924. This diode is shot in the headlamp raising mechanism. (It raises but no longer lowers.) I was hoping someone could identify and steer me in the correct direction as to where to purchase replacements. From what I understand it needs to be 14vdc and 10Amp. The ceramic proper is stamped 1N and measures 1/4 x 3/32. $5.00 in diode replacement sounds better than $500.00 motor replacement!
Thanks for any information.

upload_2018-1-6_15-29-13.png

I see two parts. Is the one on the left bad and the one on the right good? Are the two parts the same?
There is a family of parts (DIODE); 1N4001, 1N4002, 1N4003, 1N4004, 1N4005......1N4007.
They are very common. Where are you? (country) I get parts from digikey.com. Most any electronic parts supplier will have 1N400x diodes.

I’m in Wisconsin USA. Yes, the left is bad right is still good. Yes they are the same. I plan to replace them both. I’ve seen many 1N400x parts online. I would like to know which I should order.
Thanks

I happen to have had that same car (1977-1/2). I agree with Ron's suggestion. Considering that application go with the highest current version you have available. Then buy a 928S4.

John

**broken link removed**t ratings than 1N400x

Your "Porsche" has an Audi engine. Just rubbing it in. Under 85 mph , it doesn't matter. :)

You do know that the 1N4007 is only rated at 1 Amp. You stated in your first post that it needed to be 10A.

Mike.

I'm guessing that the diodes are used as snubbers, not to pass the headlight current, so not likely 10A.

Yes, they are definitely snubbers. Each goes between the up or down function of the motor. They are really small.
I got the 14vdc 10A info off of a Porsche tech forum. I probably should’ve not placed those parameters to begin with. I believed they were wrong and maybe a typo on the fellas post. (That’s why I asked on here for identification.) they are definitely stamped “1N”.
The 1N4007 is 1A with surge capability to 30A.
Once again... Thanks to everyone for their fast and informative responses.

Yes, they are definitely snubbers. Each goes between the up or down function of the motor. They are really small.
I got the 14vdc 10A info off of a Porsche tech forum. I probably should’ve not placed those parameters to begin with. I believed they were wrong and maybe a typo on the fellas post. (That’s why I asked on here for identification.) they are definitely stamped “1N”.
The 1N4007 is 1A with surge capability to 30A.
Once again... Thanks to everyone for their fast and informative responses.
You can only see the "1N" but the part number finishes on the next two or three rows...

It may look more like this...
1N

Or it could be any other three or four numbers beyond the 1N

Aside: for this discussion, I had a car with headlights that moved (1982 Celica). I had it for 17 years, I had to replace the lamp wires with "test probe wire" which was more flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back