Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help making a PICAXE chip speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket100

I need to make a PICAXE o8-m chip speak for a music player. I know how to use RTTTL with it, but I can't figure out how to make a voice like text to speech.
I did have one idea, Record the computer saying something using text to speech, then taking that mp3 and converting it into a midi, then converting that into RTTTL, then finally put that onto the PICAXE chip *whew*.
Anybody know how to do something like that?
thanks!

Likely the simplest way would be to order one of Roman Black's TalkBot Brains Official homepage of TalkBotBrain.com, accepts serial commands and has an application to do text to speech. Alternatively, use his free BTc encoder software and build your own version of it.

Likely the simplest way would be to order one of Roman Black's TalkBot Brains Official homepage of TalkBotBrain.com, accepts serial commands and has an application to do text to speech. Alternatively, use his free BTc encoder software and build your own version of it.

Thanks for that reference. :)
The TalkBot will work very easily from a PICAXE, you just connect one serial wire and tell it what sound number to speak.

As for generating the sound in the PICAXE, I'm not sure that would work it needs pretty tight code in a fast loop, you could do it with any 20MHz PIC and decent assembler code. But since the PICAXE uses interpreted code (I think) it would be too slow to play the sound itself.

As for generating the sound in the PICAXE, I'm not sure that would work it needs pretty tight code in a fast loop, you could do it with any 20MHz PIC and decent assembler code. But since the PICAXE uses interpreted code (I think) it would be too slow to play the sound itself.

Sorry that was a little vague, I meant that he could build something like a talkbot brain himself using another PIC of course. I don't know how long he has been using the PICAXE but once he masters it he would most likely be able to make the jump to true PICs and a dialect of BASIC pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back