Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help locating male power plug component

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ibrewster

I'm working on a small electronic device (rf remote receiver to home automation system bridge) that I would like to package into a small box that plugs directly into the wall. I am, however, having some difficulty locating the "plug" component. I can find plenty of sockets into which I can plug a power cord, but I haven't been able to locate any male panel mount plugs. Can someone help me with the proper google terminology or a link to a product? Thanks.

I can find plenty of sockets into which I can plug a power cord, but I haven't been able to locate any male panel mount plugs.
For VERY good reason If talking the AC power, it would be dangerous to have male pins on a socket.
Or is this another configuration?
Max.

If needing a male plug that is chassis mounted to attach to your enclosure, why not use the plug end of a standard extension cord plug **broken link removed**
Just use the plug section and attach to your unit with the three securing screws.
Discard the back shell.
Max.

Yeah, that could work. Seems a bit "hackish" (I'm sure that's not how equipment manufacturers do it :) ), but meh, whatever works! :)

Search "Wall plug PSU enclosure" or "Plug in enclosure" then build the whole device in to whichever is appropriate?

A few examples:

That sounds like a good option. Deals with the issue of getting an enclosure as well as getting power into it. Thanks!

Good to know. And their plug-in cases are pretty small too - the largest is only about 4.11 x 2.23 x 2.50, I've seen (and have) MUCH larger plug-in type devices. Hopefully I can find something somewhere else (how do manufacturers that produce plug-in devices do it?), or get my components to fit in that small of a space (doubtful, I think the power supply itself is about 3x2x1.5 or so, which wouldn't leave much room). Otherwise, I'm back to jury-rigging something from a plug as originally suggested, or using a power cord.

I think the power supply itself is about 3x2x1.5 or so
How big??

Look at this type of thing -

There are many commercial modules with different output ratings & the cost is usually lower than just a conventional transformer.

Well, I was looking at this one:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/RD-35A,

...but perhaps more research is in order to find something smaller. That one measures 3.8"x3.2"x1.4". I also need to go back and double-check my power requirements. Part of the reason I went with that one is that the 5v rail needs to power a raspberry pi zero, and what I read says they recommend something like 2.5 amps - so I would need at least 12.5W just for that, plus some extra for wiggle room and other components. And then I also need 12v for some of the other components, though I haven't been able to track down their current requirements.

Of course, I could get fancy and just get, say, a 15W 12v supply, and throw in a step-down converter or something, and that might save some space. Or I could go *really* fancy and use a microcontroller of some sort rather than a raspberry pi, such that my power requirements are less and I can go with a physically smaller supply, but I need wifi connectivity and the ability to call URL's, all of which is easy from the pi.

Point being I could probably find some way to squeeze into a 4x2 space, but I'd rather just use, say, a 4x6x2 case and have everything fit easily. Large, but no larger than some of the wall boxes I have. If I could only figure out how to plug it in :p

Possibly either of these would be suitable for the Pi -

Plus either a tiny step-up or a separate skeleton type psu for the 12V output?

For the controller, the ESP8266 or similar type modules are apparently very capable, with built-in WiFi and a programmable MCU - some people on here rave about them, but I've not used them myself.

The power required for one of those is trivial compared to a Pi & they are a fraction the size & cost.

For the controller, the ESP8266 or similar type modules are apparently very capable, with built-in WiFi and a programmable MCU - some people on here rave about them, but I've not used them myself.

The power required for one of those is trivial compared to a Pi & they are a fraction the size & cost.

You can also buy ready made plug-in modules (smart plugs) which use ESP8266's, and then reprogram them to do whatever you wish - although you'd need to make sure you bought one that used the ESP8266 (I think most do) and that provides programming access.

Oh, fun! :) Off to re-architect my project I guess - I need to dig up more information on that microcontroller (the Amazon page doesn't provide much), but at first glance it looks like it could be a better option than the Pi, depending on the exact capabilities. Or even just switching to the other power supplies you pointed out could work with a smaller form factor. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back