Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying which component I need!

Status
Not open for further replies.

450nick

Hi all!

I'm currently constructing a circuit to use in my car while I'm doing some work on the loom.This particular circuit is to be used to activate the ignition 12v supply to the rest of the car (in place of a key).

The way I would like it to work is as follows:

A momentary push to make switch is to be used to start the sequence, among other things, I need it to close two relays, one to close the main 12v loop and one small one to drive the dash lights. The problem here of course is that I need to use a momentary switch.

So my question is, what component could I use to drive the relays? It needs to take a 12v pulse from the switch, and raise its output from 0 to 12v, and then back again in the style of a flip flop circuit. I'm aware that I could do this with a microcontroller and have used them before, but I don't have any of the kit to make them up at present and am a little out of practice anyhow.

I have a similar relay in my car which controls the door lock solenoids. This flips from 12v to 0 and back again each time one of the contacts recieves an earth pulse which appears to do just what I need. The trouble is, I've no idea what its called or where to get one!

If anyone can give me a hand here, I'd be most grateful as I'm a little stuck. Ideally I'd like effectively a flip-flop relay which can have its state changed using a 12v pulse. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nick

I think that's called a latching relay.

You could do it using regular relays, a momentary button, a flip flop (555 timer or logic IC) and some kind of debouncing circuit. The flip flop would drive the relay through a transistor.

Last edited:
I picked this up along the way

Attachments

• PushOnPushOffRelay.gif
    PushOnPushOffRelay.gif
    9 KB · Views: 135
Cool, would I need to adapt the R and C values as the diagram uses a 5v relay and I'd need to use a 12...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back