Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Identifying resistor-like part

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiques

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to learn to repair switched power supplies without schematics so I'm finding a few parts I don't have references to. Would anyone be able help me identifying this resistor like part?

**broken link removed**

Looks like my wife's cooking :)

Looks like a cooked resistor. Must be my mother-in-law's cooking. ;)

Is there anything underneath that plastic cover? That could just be an insulator. Have you tried measuring it with an ohmmeter to get an idea of what value it might have been?

Based on the color code, its value starts with "2". ;)

I tried measuring it but it's basically an open circuit. I'm not sure if it's a fuse or some sort of power resistor.

ImageShack is asleep so I couldn't see the photo.
Please post the photo here instead.

Attatching JPEG on FORUM

See below.

Attachments

• mystery_part-2.JPG
    mystery_part-2.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 120
I though it was a resistor with a heatsink. They were used with a little tinned steel sink on top to get a higher power dissipation in a package with a small PCB footprint.

But since the "hat" seems melted I guess it's plastic (ie heatshrunk plastic tubing)?? It's probably just an insulator on top of a normal resistor.

Good luck working our the resistance value. :)

I go along with Mr RB.

Most probably it is kind of a safety precaution avoiding to touch an AC-live part in the circuit.

A schematic would be helpful finding out the value of the resistor.

Boncuk

It's also possible that the red ring is not the first ring but the last i.e. 2%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back