Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Identifying a Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidMil

Can someone tell me the correct name for this type connector from a 40 year old computer? it has 18 wires in a single line
connector and uses 22 gauge stranded wire that is pressed down into the connector. Picture follows...

Thank you,
DavidMil

Attachments

• Cable Connector.JPG
    Cable Connector.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 194
It's an IDC connector.

Mike.
Edit, was looking on my phone. Now I've seen it on a bigger monitor, it's not a normal IDC connector.

Last edited:
It looks like an IDC connector, but it's a single row of pins and the cable has open space between each conductor.

I have some character LCD displays (yes, I know that's redundant) with attached ribbon cables ending in a 16 x 1 IDC connector. The cable is standard ribbon cable, with 32 conductors, either with 2 conductors per pin or alternate cables not used. As far as I can determine, this type (that I described) of single row IDC is no longer available.

You can "fake" a cable like this by using a dual-row header with the right number of pins (same number of pins wide but 2 rows) and 2× the conductors in the ribbon cable. Just plug in the same side of the connector on each end.

The nearest to identical would be an IDC type HE14 socket. HE14 type connectors are also available with individual pin contacts you can crimp or solder on to the wires, then fit in a housing.

This is an HE14 IDC type in an 8 way size, to show the appearance:
42465678.jpg

An AVX 208284018000030 is also somewhat similar style but with side entry, and its a type you could "crimp" in a small vice, rather than needing any special tools.

As KISS says, the TE MTA series is also electrically compatible, if it's 0.1" pin pitch. The only real difference is the wire fits sideways rather than upwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back