Help!!! H bridge IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

microzone

Can I use 2 phase H bridge driver (M3479-P) to drive an 4 phase bipolar stepper motor (M42SP-7)? It is because I cannot find a 4 phase H bridge driver. Do you have any idea? Thanks.

Attachments

• datasheet.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 291
  • MC3479-D.PDF
    182.1 KB · Views: 427
No that chip drives bipolar motors and that's a unipolar motor. There are lots of designs for driving unipolar motors. If you know microcontroller programming, you can put a driver together for fairly cheap - ULN2003 plus a small uC.

Note, on some motors, you might be able to seperate the unipolar wiring to get a bipolar stepper. Do you have this motor already? If so, take a look at the connector. I think its a 5 wire motor so it may not be possible. If not, I'd go salvage one from a broken (and free) printer. Laser printers are a nice source of lots of scrounged parts.

I love the motor's datasheet - number one feature is "high torque output". who are they kidding??

Last edited:

Thanks, Philba. I think my motor is a bipolar stepper motor because it has 4 wires and its datasheet also mention it is a bipolar stepper motor. Can you please check for me? Can you suggest a H bridge IC to me? Thank you first for your kind help.

4 wires would be bipolar. the datasheet says Unipolar on page 2 and the outline drawing shows a 5 pin connector.

I'd believe the motor, probably a different datasheet.

so, that controller chip should work ok for the stepper motor.

philba said:
4 wires would be bipolar. the datasheet says Unipolar on page 2 and the outline drawing shows a 5 pin connector.

I'd believe the motor, probably a different datasheet.

so, that controller chip should work ok for the stepper motor.

Thanks philba for your kind reply. I still not yet buy the H bridge IC but I'll buy it and test it as soon as possible. If I have a good news I'll tell you. Thanks for your help.

Guys, I'm making a position and speed control system for dc motor. what do u reckon which motor driving is the best ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…