Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help finding capacitors for tesla coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

Please help!! my tesla coil has been on the back burner for a while now. im stuck finding sutible capacitors for the primary tank circuit. im on a limited budget. factory made caps are very expensive! ive tried the homemade bucket cap route, but it didnt hold up. two of the glass bottles actually shattered in the bucket!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If1hMzv0hZI

ideally i need 8.6nF. im powering my coil with 15kv NST. so 15000x1.414x(saftey factor of 2)=42.4KV. please contact me if you have some or know of a surplus store!

You've gotten stuck at the exact place I did :p You might look up small caps on ebay, that you can buy in bulk to make up a MMC bank. That's become the most popular choice for Tesla coil hobbyists, but it can still rack up quite a bill if you don't choose carefully.

This is the capacitor you need. Connect them series, parallel to get the voltage rating you need.

**broken link removed**

This is the capacitor you need. Connect them series, parallel to get the voltage rating you need.

**broken link removed**

Those the ones from your coil, Gary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back