Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help designing a remote controlled cupboard lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point being made that I was the first to use nefarious, in your post #57, is not exactly true though, is it?
I was the first to mention sand.

This reminds me of my kids 20 years ago,
"He started it"
"No, she started it"
Ad infinitum....

Mike...

the word 'nefarious', from a couple of members.
WTF is that about?
I think some are reading far too much into this, and coming up with 2+2=5
To be clear, I was not calling the TS or what he is doing nefarious. I was simply implying that if someone did feel something fishy going on in any thread, they had a right to ask why and I sure as hell did not suggest the poor guy is trying to build bombs.. Jeez man where is your mind going? To sensitive on social issue's I think....

As a security professional of over 20 years, I agree with DrG. A simple combination lock is the best route. Unless of course you need to control when the other person is allowed access. Then a combo does not work.

Last edited:
Seems like I started a big thing with a simple word,"why". In my years of solving problems I've found the best and first question is "why". When you can understand the reason for doing something you (or at least I) can see things from a different point of view and many times an easier way of doing it.

And for the record, I don't even look or consider where a member is from, what they look like, how or where they worship or any other thing than what the problem is.

Ah. Damn.

I think I mentioned in my first / introductory post here on this forum that I am an enthusiast (as in, not a professional or regular electronics student). As such, electronics projects are purely for hobby and diy for me.

Yes, I know I can simply use a digital number lock on the cupboard and tell the combination to my wife.

I could also just order a SONOFF and get a WiFi device. While way overpriced, it's definitely in the budget.

Or I could just get a $25 ringtone detector from eBay. I saw the custom built circuit from some Romanian guy.

Then why do I keep asking for doable (as in, which I can develop myself) methods when I can just buy a ready-made solution easily, both online and offline? Simply because electronics is my new hobby and it gives me a sense of accomplishment and pure joy to develop something in this field or put together different parts to build something which accomplishes a meaningful task.

And yes, I know IEDs have been detonated through the same method since decades.

Which leads to the point that if I had bad intentions, I would just get the ringtone detector and use it to ignite the primer. Duh, why go 2 extra miles, make an account on an electronics forum and ask and argue for nearly two weeks?

P.S. I haven't posted any update on the project because I live in a rural area and I'd have to travel to the town to get the required parts. Heck, even if I order online, it would get delivered it in the town and I'd to collect it from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ That first pic is pretty cool, IMO.

Talking about the lack of sand.

To be precise, it's a dust storm, and not a sand storm, but these too, blow quite copious amounts of sand in the face.

Quite harmless despite the dreadful outlook. Except that the ladies have to clean the whole house for a full 2 days once they have passed.

^^ That first pic is pretty cool, IMO.

These two are specially for you.

To be fair we get occasional sand storms in the UK - blown over from the Sahara - although it's obviously mild by their local standards, it's unplesent to be out in, and your car ends up covered in sand :D It gives a you a very slight understanding of what a real sand/dust storm might be like.

To be fair we get occasional sand storms in the UK - blown over from the Sahara - although it's obviously mild by their local standards, it's unplesent to be out in, and your car ends up covered in sand :D It gives a you a very slight understanding of what a real sand/dust storm might be like.

My sand post was good enough to be quoted but, for some random reason, deleted?

My sand post was good enough to be quoted but, for some random reason, deleted?
A side effect of thread cleanup. There was a lot of bickering that had to be removed, but that quote was a straggler. Fixed now.

Last edited:
Update.

I got some of the components offline from a store in the town (including an amplifier). I'm busy with my professional exams these days so I will begin assembling functional units later (after 4 Sept, that is).

One thing I was very surprised to see is that the amplifier is really small. That's like ... 2 x 2 cm. And it has so many ports, I don't know where to connect what (it actually has more than 4 ports so I am confounded about how to tame this beast).

Also got a number of diodes in order to set up a simple full-wave rectifier. I'd be asking a lot of noob questions soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back