Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help choosing op-amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

raviram87

i am building a project that deals with the extraction of EOG signals (which are biological signals caused due to eye movements)....

These are extremely small signals with an amplitude range between 0.3mV to 1mV and frequency range of 0 to 25 hz....

so i took these signals (with electrodes), fed them to an instrumentation amplifier (AD620 set to a gain of 1000) and subsequenctly filtered the resulting signal using 4th order active low pass filters.... but still couldnt get appraciable outputs....

i used OP177 type op-amps for building the filters.... wat could be the problem??? can anyone pls help me..... wat type of op-amps can give good results???

thanks in advance... :)

and i am attching the datasheet of OP177 for reference for anyone who needs further information....

Expecting ur help soon.... :)

Attachments

• OP177.pdf
    340.7 KB · Views: 192
There is nothing wrong with the choices you have made for the amplifiers. The instrumentation amp is not noisy, the amps have plenty of gain, and your bandwidth is modest, so I see no problem with the amp choices.

Have you confirmed that the amplifiers are working by substituting an alternate input signal? If so, can you adjust your alternate source down to a very low level to confirm the gain of your amplifiers?

If the system works with an alternate source of signal, then you must suspect your electrodes or the physiology.

raviram87,

As a thought...have you attached the common in the instrumentation amp circuit to a quiet reference point, like the ear lobe, on the patient? Or are you just using the two differential inputs?

Ken

@Radioron...

thanks so much for ur suggestions.... let me just check ur ideas and get back to u as soon as possible...

@KMoffet...
I have attached a picture that shows u where we will be placinf the electrodes on the user.... the black coloured ground electrode has been connected to the reference input of the AD620....

Attachments

• eogelec.JPG
    eogelec.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 128
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back