Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Building biofeedback for muscle sensor / EMG with arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

stregoi

Hi hope someone can help me achieving this build, i am a newbee in electronics.

I am working with a research project in my hospital department, where i have to monitor the back muscle activity in scoliosis patients.
I have to record the EMG activity 4 different places ( 4 electrodes/channels), for 24h for like a whole week.

I have in mind to use an Arduino ( as small as possible ), some electrodes, and somekind of external storage, an SD card maybe.

i have been looking around in the internet but almost all projects involving EMG sensors are single channel and not storing in a card.

So please any advice on how i can approach the project ?, what will i need and eventually some suggestions about what i am intending to do.

Any help will be appreciated.

by the way i was thing about using myoware as my EMG sensor
ae04cde89120ba4e87f92cc46ae082f8_original.png

this is what i came with so far

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I would do it pretty much as you describe. This example shows how to use the SD card Library to log data from three analog sensors to a SD card. I would use the Arduino or similar configured as a data logger. The sample rate you use for your analog channels will determine how quickly you use memory. I haven't a clue how much memory will be needed for a week of data. Using the link above will get you started as to the data logger. I see the MyoWare Sensor as a good choice as it has the needed amplified output so should be easy to configure with the Arduino. You will need to figure out how much power the sensors and Arduino will require. I would power this all from a 5 Volt source so you will need to configure a power pack which is portable and offers 5 Volts. Why 5 volts verse 3.3 volts? If you record the RAW EMG signals the output will be above and below Vsupply/2 so that will give you some flexibility. Then it is a matter of making everything nice and portable for the patient as well as compact.

Ron

Thats a nice advice .. thanks a lot, a quick question .. can i just use an arduino Micro with my setup instead of the arduino Uno. just to keep things compact ?

Thats a nice advice .. thanks a lot, a quick question .. can i just use an arduino Micro with my setup instead of the arduino Uno. just to keep things compact ?

My guess would be yes but this is not my forte. I have a few Arduino boards that were given to me over the years but have not done much with them. Most of what I did have as far as programming went away with an old computer that finally failed. :(

I would just take the direction of the link or if you have the programming skills try programming a Micro.

Ron

Yes.
And ron is right about the 5VDC, so use the Pro Micro 5V/18MHz arduino (rather than the 3.3V/8MHz).

And the Uno has a different bootloader/sketch download routine than the Micro, which confused me no end when I first used the Micro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back