Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help building a voice-recording circuit with Nuvoton ISD1730

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomanimc

Hi all! Thanks for creating this amazing online community.

I'm currently working on building the "Example #1" circuit listed on page 19 of 26 in the datasheet for the Nuvoton ISD1730PY chip (image attached). I've attempted to translate the schematic into a breadboarded circuit, which I've represented on Tinkercad, and also as an image (attached) with representation for parts that aren't currently in the Tinkercad component library (i.e. an electret mic, 8 ohm speaker, and the ISD1730 chip). Using the Tinkercad site, you can click on the capacitors to see their values & ratings and buttons to see their names corresponding to their functions on the board.

Expected Behavior
After clicking the Record button, I expect the circuit to enter a record mode that will allow me to record at least 20 seconds of audio. The recording period should be marked by a continuously lit LED, which turns off once the recording period is over. After the recording ends, I expect to be able to click the Play button to hear the message played back. During playback, I expect to see the LED flash continuously until the playback period is over, and then turn off.

Current Behavior

After clicking the record button, the LED flashes continuously for about a second before turning off automatically. The same behavior happens when clicking the play button. No audible sound is produced during playback, and it seems like the circuit is failing to record.

(I will follow-up with a video of the behavior once I return to my desk).

Other Notes on Construction

I'll start by noting that I have a relatively basic understanding of analog circuitry, so please bear with me!

You may notice I haven't yet made any efforts to decouple analog and digital power sources, since I figured that although this would make the recordings a bit more muddled due to oscillation, etc, the circuit would still work for an initial test of the chip.

I'm also quite uncertain about the way I've hooked up the capacitors for Vccd/Vssd, Vcca/Vssa, and Vssp1/Vssp2 and about the arrangement of the circuit around the electret microphone.

----

Does anyone here have suggestions on how to fix or improve this circuit? Separately, if there are other best practices you might want to suggest I use in communicating the issue, breadboarding, or representing the circuit I'd love to hear them. Looking to learn.

Attachments

• ISD1730Circuit.png
    ISD1730Circuit.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 253
  • Example1ISD1730Circuit.png
    Example1ISD1730Circuit.png
    89.9 KB · Views: 275
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back