Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help-build/design a rangefinder

Status
Not open for further replies.

moto

newby here....i am involved with a project that requires me to design/construct a rangefinder that needs to be rather compact, quiet and accurate from 30-180 ft. my biggest problem is, i know nothing about electronics or how/where to even begin looking for parts or schematics to start putting one together. this is all greek to me. the preference is a digital rf, though i imagine a laser may work. any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Do you realise how difficult it is to get a sonic range-finder to detect 180 feet?
Go to the hardware store, buy a sonic range-finder, pull it apart, and use the components.
It took the designer just 3 months and $5,000 to design this item so I think you will be able to design something similar in 5 days but it will take just 3 days to pull the ready-made item apart.
I know you will be able to write the code for the microprocessor in 2 days and create the circuit board in 1 day, but why re-invent the wheel, just buy something already made and no-one will know the difference.

i'm getting the idea it isn't easy. sonic rf won't measure to 180 ft, at least not accurately. not looking to reinvent the wheel, looking to complete a project. i was advised to come here to this site because of the expertise available and i hope to get some some of it

Forget about it!
Theres no way you could do it with your experience and budget.

thanks for the vote of confidence:( i know it's not going to be cheap or easy. if no one wants to explain what i need to do in layman's terms, can anyone at least point me in the direction of where to get the parts and schematics

Sorry, I don't think anyone here can help you. What you want simply can't be done by a hobbyist. A laser rangefinder requires skills in electronics, optics and signal processing. I don't think you can find schematics on the web for one because no hobbyist has built one. If they were cheap and easy to make you could buy one at Walmart for $19.95

no prob. i understand. was just hoping that someone would would be able to atleast tell me what and where to get parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back