Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help a newbie build a battery box

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeysAteMe

I'm new to circuit board engineering, and I would like to make an external battery pack for my consumer electronics.

I would like to have a battery pack that runs on AA's that I can use to charge multiple devices(mp3 player,cell phone, portable DVD player, etc..).

I can use both a dc plug(the kind that plugs into a car) or an ac plug. (would prefer that it used ac if possible).

I would seperately charge the AA's.

Can I just hook up a dc outlet directly to the batteries, because the dc plugs have transformers built in, or do I need to do more?

Are there any links to sites that would help or can you guys tell me what to do?

Thanks.

what exactly do you want to do ?
I hope you intend those to be rechargeble AA batteries (more environmentally friendly) and I would suggest using a dry led acid battery like a car battery they are probably more competitive as far as cost per Watt.
if your going to power multiple devices you will need it to have a voltage regulator, charging NiMH battries is also more tricky than a led acid battery, to charge the lead acid battery you just need a DC power supply that is a couple of volts more than the battery, assuming it has diodes in it like the rectifier of a wall transformer you won't have to worry about putting a diode between the battery and power supply, you will need a resistor of a value equal to (DCin-battery volts)/amps to charge.

i do though recommend using the dedicated adapters for stuff mainly because what you propose is such a wasteful method:
you will charge batterys, this in itself is probably only 50 efficient (for every W charged 2 watts will be consumed as battery heat and charger overhead), you will then do the same thing again having to possibly drop the voltage with a regulator loosing more efficienzy to charge yet more batteries, you will end up using ten time the power you get in the end, ok I know we are talking small power here but remember this becomes an important issue as power consumption rises,

your best bet is to make a backup for each devise and where possible use standard batteries like AA and AAA these you can easily charge, for example I have 6 AAA batteries and 16 AA batteries and so I know where ever I go i am ok for 24-72 hours for power before I get to a wall socket that I can charge them up on.

perhaps if you supply more details we can help better your request is a bit too generic

My plan is to make a DC battery charger. The outlet will be a car lighter, and the plug will be whatever car adaptor my device uses.

I believe that the car adaptors have their own regulators so I wouldn't need to make any.

I do hope to use some kind of rechargeable batteries. I need about 9 volts of energy.

I would take out the batteries to charge them.

I hope this is enough information.

I was messing around with some stuff I bought earlier and I melted the battery holder. I had 8 AA's hooked up to a battery holder with a 9v plug on top. I did not connect the 9v plug to anything so I don't believe the circuit was connected. It began smoking and it melted the plastic a little.

HOw am I to prevent this? I hadn't connected the circuit yet the batteries kept running. Do I need to get a switch?

Thanks for the help.

if the circuit was not connected probably there was a short on the battery wiring, the problem is how will you charge the MiMH batteries you will need to remove them from the holder each time, I suggest a 12 Volt 2-4 amp dry led/acid battery, on the output you wil need a regulator such as the LM317 but you need to specify what current you want the battery pack to output

I was going to use the electronic devices car chargers to regulate voltage.

I'm not sure what current I want (but I think the charger will regulate that).

Are there any sources for people beginning electronics? (DC Circuit board stuff would be my focus)

MonkeysAteMe said:
I was going to use the electronic devices car chargers to regulate voltage.

I'm not sure what current I want (but I think the charger will regulate that).

Are there any sources for people beginning electronics? (DC Circuit board stuff would be my focus)

WHAT "electronic devices car chargers"?
I have No Idea What you mean by this?

I probably should have said car adaptor. I plan on using a car adaptor **broken link removed**

to plug into a car lighter **broken link removed**

and the car lighter is plugged into a battery pack.

I hope this makes things clearer.

then the solution is simple just get a 12 volt led/acid battery of 2-4 amps and charge it with a car charger (220volts / 12 volts) and connect the cigarette lighter socket to the battery. this is more of a mechanical project than electrical as you will need to spend more time thinking of how to box it

Basic Electronics Lessons

MonkeysAteMe said:
Ok thank you.

Does anyone know of any sources where I could learn more about basic electronics?[/QUOTE

Look at the following for free lessons in electronics:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back