Help! 4017 decoder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitfish

Hi Folks,

I'm building a modulo 10 (decade) counter and was wondering how I would link a 4017 chip to a seven segment display.

Thanks for your time and support,

Steve

Thanks,

That helped quite a bit. I was just wondering, I'm using a 4017 chip as i can make it reset to zero after it reaches nine automatically so that it counts conitnously.

Is there a way to reset a 4029 to zero automatically? I know you can load zero and make a flying wire briefly high but obviously this means manually reseting.

I'm afraid I only have johnson series and I'm not really sure what is meant by readout but I want it to be displayed on a 7 segment disply.

What do you want to appear on the 7-segment display?

I realise you have absolutely no idea what you want, that's why you have to provide a lot more detail if you want assistance.

Sorry Colin,

I want the seven segment display to scroll through from 0 to nine continuously.
I do appreciate the help.

So, you want digits to appear on the 7-segment display and not just a single segment to illuminate - as would be the case if you connect a 4017 to the display.

So, you cannot use a 4017 without a lot of diode gating.

You need another chip.

You need a CD 4026. It actually has current limiting (some of the brands)and can be connected directly to a 7-segment display.

Thanks a lot colin. You're a hero! I was just wondering If you could use a 4029 chip in some way to do the same thing. I'm doing an electronics course over the internet and need to show an alternative way of creating a project.

Thanks for your superdooper help anyway,

Steve

Easy with the diode matrix circuit.

What about the diodes for 0, 1, 2, 3, 4,,5, 6, 7, 8, 9

See, it's a much bigger task than you thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…