Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP 22 year old Kenmore Electronic Washing machine trips circuit breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
This is a normal washing machine but the control system is a micro controller and relays instead of the timers and mechanical switches used on other machines of its time.

The problem is that it is tripping the breaker when it spins. The cord even gets hot. Does this have to be a bad motor or could it be something else. I need to ask the wife if it generated an error code, I am thinking it did not have a chance to.

I replaced the relay board 8 years ago.

Could this be a bad capacitor on the motor?

Last edited:
I think it is the motor. It is the only thing that pulls that much power.

That, or the starter cap (if it has one). A leaky cap will alter the phase differential, causing excessive current draw and major over heating (and subsequent damage) to the motor.

Lot easier (and cheaper) to replace the cap.

One quick check is to monitor how quickly the motor comes up to speed: if it's slower than "usual", generally that's a cap problem.

My wife and I looked at the reviews for the current crop of new washer. Top loader, high efficiency top loader, and front loader none seemed all that good. I like clean clothes and the water stingy new models often do not rinse well or clean heavily soiled clothes like you get working on a car.

For $150 we have a new OEM motor, clutch, and drive coupler on the way. Opted not to change the transmission. Maybe that will be enough to keep it going another decade or two.

Video on the web makes it look like maybe an hour at most to fix it. Wish me luck.

Good for you, 3v0.

I'm a firm believer in repair, not replace. Especially with household appliances and cars.

Saved me a ton of money over the years. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back