Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hello new to the forum and just need help identifying a component

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josipe

the particular component came out of a dewalt dw 983 xrp cordless drill trigger. the component was literally split in two and i no longer get a variable speed when i pull the trigger. its an old 14.4v drill. i made a lithium ion battery back for it in a 4s configuration with a 40amp battery management system. the batteries used were samsung Samsung 35T 21700 Battery Grade A Lithium-ion (INR21700-35T). they are 35 amp max discharge batteries. i was just using the drill normally and i heard a pop. upon inspecting the battery and the battery management system board i saw that one of the transistors in the mos tube had fried and when i put the nicad battery pack back in to test and see if the drill was still working the variable speed was gone. it was just on at full speed or off. although i did hear a slight electrical whine up until the full speed kicked in. i think i need to wire an capacitor somewhere in the circuit to stop that from having happened but o well my mistake. anyways that is the whole situation and im thinking that i lost the variable speed because of the the broken component in the trigger. i will post some pictures of it. if anyone can identify what it is i would greatly appreciate it.
image0.jpeg
IMG_1311.jpg
IMG_1313.jpg

It looks like a high current rectifier diode; possibly acting as a "flywheel diode" across the controller output to the motor, before the reversing switch.

If that is it, something else has also failed - most likely the series regulator transistor(s) have shorted out, so you get full voltage all the time..

ill take a pic of the transistor i think that u are talking about. thanks again for the reply. give me a few minutes

here are the pics. im guessing that u are talking about that 3 pronged transistor in the center

Attachments

• IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 234
That's the thing; unfortunately the numbers on it seem to be in-house ones rather than an actual type number, I cannot find any reference to that device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back