Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello! New Noob here! Lookin to learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytmousemalibu

Hello, my name is Chris but "Mouse" will suffice:D Live in the boring state of Kansas:p

Im a BMW tech by trade and an avid racer/performance nut and big into Diesel performance;)

Im also huge into DIY projects, i love making my own things, very gratifying! Im used to making and working with thing of a more mechanical fashion but dabble in electronics some too.

Being a BMW tech, I encounter a great deal of electronics. And now fiberoptics. Most of my electronics experiance is derived from my profession.

Glad to be here!

Hello, my name is Chris but "Mouse" will suffice:D Live in the boring state of Kansas:p

Im a BMW tech by trade and an avid racer/performance nut and big into Diesel performance;)

Im also huge into DIY projects, i love making my own things, very gratifying! Im used to making and working with thing of a more mechanical fashion but dabble in electronics some too.

Being a BMW tech, I encounter a great deal of electronics. And now fiberoptics. Most of my electronics experiance is derived from my profession.

Glad to be here!

Hello there Newbie. Hows the industry lookin.

My daughters boyfriend really like cars he's thinking of taking some Hydraulics classes he wants to specialized and I guess there is a School somewhere in California that teaches it just for cars or something.

Welcome.

kv:)

Last edited:
Hello there Newbie. Hows the industry lookin.

My daughters boyfriend really like cars he's thinking of taking some Hydraulics classes he wants to specialized and I guess there is a School somewhere in California that teaches it just for cars or something.

Welcome.

Thank You!

Well, all the auto markets are down, but I work for an Independant BMW shop and we have been swamped! Was slow here a while ago but has turned around for us. Our local BMW stealership is not very popular with the owners and we have a good size customer base that keeps growing. One of our guys counted cars the other day, we had iirc, 64 cars at our small shop! So Were doin good right now, hope it stays!

Theres plenty of choices nowdays for automotive schooling. Myself, i went to Wyotech and it was fantastic. Its been a while ago! But that got me into the BMW S.T.E.P. Program where i got my specialized training and worked for our dealer for a bit and now ive been where im at for about 6yrs now:D

Last edited:
Just lurking around, wow, this stuff is way over my head!

As popular as Movie makers cashing in on independent racing or street cars with top dollar equipment. Reminds me of the 60's and 70's drag circuit racing.

We had it here locally a guy lived just down the street he used to mentor me a little I just never got the bug. He had an old roadster called the A-rapid-apparatus 16 coats of candy apple red. Sporting a high rise blower it sounded a lot like a bumble bee. aah the smell of burnt rubber and un-burnt fuel. To this day my ears still ring the damage.

I grew up doing odd repairs in my uncles shop. He retired a Mechanic entrepreneur.

Now I hate working on cars unless I have every little piece of equipment and a clean working environment. Plus the car has to be clean top to bottom pressure washed and decreased. Not to mention plenty of time which I don't have anymore so I pay someone else to do it for me.

The shop I had at home was like that we could pull a diesel into it with no problem. It was outfitted with everything you might need except parts that we would call in for as needed to be delivered by pretty girls.:D

Now day's I wonder where the money is for these sort of hobbies will it continue or do you think he should look elsewhere for a Trade.

Just lurking around, wow, this stuff is way over my head!

Be careful it's addicting just like cars. Especially when you get into the programming and such now that blows my top. If you look at it all it will be discouraging. I've been here about a yr and I haven't had the time to spend with it but there are lots of tutorial and a growing video section you should check out.

kv

Edit: Books too !

Last edited:
Ok cool! Thanks! I'll get more as i go!

If i had to do it over again or try somthing else, i'd think about being a welder or a machinist. Besises auto's, my big life passion is fabrication. I LOVE making my own things!
Im not a booksmart or behind the desk type of guy. I like beeing out there and using my hands. That said, at 26 years of age, i have been having back problems since 18 or so and that really puts a damper on the things that i would like to do otherwise. That has been in my thoughts alot here in the past year after learing about my back and seeing my dad living with back trouble. Leaves me wondering how much longer i'll be an auto tech as a profession? Its pretty hard on the body. Im praying for medical advances but not holding my breath!

I'm not a booksmart or behind the desk type of guy. I like beeing out there and using my hands. That said, at 26 years of age, i have been having back problems since 18 or so and that really puts a damper on the things that i would like to do otherwise. That has been in my thoughts alot here in the past year after learing about my back and seeing my dad living with back trouble. Leaves me wondering how much longer i'll be an auto tech as a profession? Its pretty hard on the body. Im praying for medical advances but not holding my breath!

I hear that! I am 34 and have a messed up back and this last year or so the knees are starting to get sore real easy too.:(
I did the Mr fix it stuff working for others until I was 28 and the went back to college a second time.
I'm still the Mr fix it man but now I'm the company owner. :)

The old school auto tinkerers are about done for the most part. Theres not much interest in it any more. Or far less than there used to be. I went to auto club shows years ago and seeing a 2000 plus crowd turnout was common even for rural areas like North Dakota. Now theres maybe 500 people at most the last few shows I went too.:(

People dont have the skills, time, money or general interest any more. Many of my high school and college buddies has some amazing cars they hand restored or custom built. The first marriage, first kid, and first divorce, took that all that away real fast!:mad:

If I had kids or were married I know I wouldn't be doing what I do today.
I would be stuck working full time for someone else most likely.

Hope you can teach us something. We will teach you what we can!:)

Do your research looking for a career.

Ok cool! Thanks! I'll get more as i go!

If i had to do it over again or try somthing else, i'd think about being a welder or a machinist. Besises auto's, my big life passion is fabrication. I LOVE making my own things!
Im not a booksmart or behind the desk type of guy. I like beeing out there and using my hands. That said, at 26 years of age, i have been having back problems since 18 or so and that really puts a damper on the things that i would like to do otherwise. That has been in my thoughts alot here in the past year after learing about my back and seeing my dad living with back trouble. Leaves me wondering how much longer i'll be an auto tech as a profession? Its pretty hard on the body. Im praying for medical advances but not holding my breath!

I was in the Commercial Service Industry and began to experience that as well that's when I opened a small company and did domestic equipment but that failed due to reduced shipping weights and easy credit to buy new.

Welding will kick yer but too! as well as machining. My friend machines for rocket propelled stuff and a lot of military aircraft crap he's complaining constantly about his shoulders and nerve damage. Then another friend worked at Company similar but they wind generators for F-16 and other Craft the particular tolerances of winding them and repeated heavy lifting has him so screwed up that when the surgeons get though with him he won't even be able to walk.

kv

Ya, I hear ya to guys!
I do a bit of welding for myself and have done some minor machining too, its not really in the cards either. Just somthin i'd like. Im having a hard time thinking of somthing id like to do while not being hard on the body. Very slim pickings :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back