Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hello, I need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

terramir

hello guys I need some help designing several things, mostly they will be based on cheap pic processors because they are versitile. I need to learn several things. first of all I have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer.
About D/A converters on the pic. I saw the circuit was simply a resistor and a capacitor, but what can I use if I want to measure voltages outside of the operating range of the pic?
Like 0V to 17.5V with a pic with an 8-bit converter. the chips have like an operating range of 4.0 to 5 volts how could I fix it up to measure something like that, also I have an other question is it possible to measure current with a pic actually the same pic on a different pin?
Also is it possible to use every pin of port B seperately? like to use pins in high and low / on off status in order to start different functions?
because I want to build the following things
#1 a li-ion charger with my custom specs because I want to protect the cells this is possible if I configure the pics to do certain things.
#2 A charging computer that will determine depending on the voltages of several different banks what to charge, and then start the appropriate charging chip. I would have several chargers for my li-ion bank one charger that could be switched between my gel-cells and another one for my NIMH bank.
but for this I need to
A. learn how to design
Voltage meters, ampmeters and switches, based on pic computers.
these just need to take measurements in order to determine what needs a charge and turn on the appropriate circuit.
then I need to learn how to build a circuit that can control the current and voltage accurately based on a pic design in order to build the li-ion charger circuits
Hope some of you guys can help,
Any suggestions I would be greatful for
terramir

terramir said:
hello guys I need some help designing several things, mostly they will be based on cheap pic processors because they are versitile. I need to learn several things. first of all I have a few questions that maybe some of you can answer.
About D/A converters on the pic. I saw the circuit was simply a resistor and a capacitor, but what can I use if I want to measure voltages outside of the operating range of the pic?

You just need a simple resistive attenuator to feed the input, have a look at my PIC tutorials, where I use opamps and resistive attenuators as part of my analogue to digital tutorial.

Like 0V to 17.5V with a pic with an 8-bit converter. the chips have like an operating range of 4.0 to 5 volts how could I fix it up to measure something like that, also I have an other question is it possible to measure current with a pic actually the same pic on a different pin?
Also is it possible to use every pin of port B seperately? like to use pins in high and low / on off status in order to start different functions?
because I want to build the following things

Yes you can use every pin seperately. As for measuring current - you simply measure the voltage drop across a resistor in the circuit. The main problem is getting this referenced to 0V, as the 0V input is common to all the inputs on the PIC you need to generate a voltage from the current, which is referenced to ground. Using an opamp is probably the easiest way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back