Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hello everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

antonio gm

i newbie in this forum, but I want to practice my tecnical english with all of member that permit me, thanks for your help.
thanks

We seem to be getting a couple of new members everyday!

Welcome to the forum!

i newbie in this forum, but I want to practice my tecnical english with all of member that permit me, thanks for your help.
thanks
The easiest rule for you to learn right away is that all new sentences in English begin with capital letters (for instance, "the" in this sentence begins with a capital: "The"). Notice also that the word English should be capitalized when it's referring to the language, culture, or anything from the country of England, even if the word English is being used as a noun or adjective.

Also, a noun like "I" is always capitalized, even if it's in the middle of a sentence. Of course, you won't see a lot of the word "I" in technical documents, since they tend to be written in the gender-neutral third person. That last point is actually an easier part of English: all third person literature or speech is gender neutral.

Note the proper spelling of the word "technical." Like many English words, it doesn't strictly adhere to a set of concise phonetic rules, so it's easy to forget in this case that "technical" has a silent "h." This is because many words in English have their roots in other languages, and as such English has become a conglomeration of adopted pronunciation and spelling.

There's also a problem with your English in your use of the definite and indefinite articles "a" and the aforementioned "the." Without going into too much detail, the best solution I can think of for you to correct the problem is to get yourself a recent, English version of MS Word. Check the grammar and spelling of anything you write in English in MS Word first, and it shouldn't take you long to recognize patterns in your own errors, and for you to get used to how English words are spelled.

One detail you might encounter with this solution, however, is that there are minor variances in the English language as it is written by U.S. citizens versus how it's written by English (and Commonwealth) people. Variances in localized vernacular aside, the greatest differences are in the spelling of certain words. For instance, English people will write "honour" whereas an American will write "honor, and English people might write "spelt" whereas an American will write "spelled." Both are correct, depending on what country you're in. I'm Canadian, which means I'm British with a lot of American influence, so I tend to write "honour" and "spelled."

Good luck with your efforts, and get MS Word to spell check and grammar check everything you write. The best way to get better is to practice, study, and practice some more.

Last edited:
We do once in a while. WS word is a very important program for typing and creating word files in the US and England. I highly reccomend it for anything. Dont worry about your english and questions, they are very high quality sentences for one such as you! A example is listed below:

NAME OMITTED FOR PERSONAL SAFETY said:
hello evryone, i reseached already in the net,books, about 150watts per channel amplifier but i could not found. the profect i want to make is a 2 channel, which is 150Watts per channel.can anyone here help me.thnks..........:rolleyes:

Note the spelling errors and somewhat Incomplete question. When you Post a thread, Make sure you Label it somthing self validating, so we know what you need help with. For example, they labeled the above post "Help me pls". What does that mean? Do we know what you need help with? He could name it "help with amplifier". Make sure you post your thread with self validating facts and statements, to avoid questions about what you want. Also, If the reply was positive, give the person a positive remark under reputation. If it was mean and negative, give it a negative reply. If you follow these rules you will be popular with the forum :)

Make sure you dont over-use smiles either.

thanks, but do you talk about a program call it MS Word?? or what is that?? sorry by my ignorance.
It's a word processing program from Microsoft (hence, MS). Although it's arguably the most popular, it's certainly not the only one of its kind.

Hank Fletcher said:
Also, a noun like "I" is always capitalized, even if it's in the middle of a sentence.
Hank, I hate to nitpick, but in this case, it's probably justified, since we're "teaching" English.
I'm sure you know that "I" is actually a pronoun.

"I" is actually a pronoun.
That's true, without question. It might be the way I was taught, or even how I think about them now, that I just happen to lump all nouns in a "noun" class (and the same with various forms of verbs, etc). It no doubt speaks to my own psychology: my tendencies towards gross categorization, sometimes even consciously in an attempt towards a kind of transcendence where the world is capable of being understood only in terms of things and action.

My excessively verbose explanations of things are one part an attention to detail and thoroughness, but also one part satirically pedantic. It's possible to get completely lost in the explanation of things, whether that explanation is philosophical or theoretical, or a complete digression.

The point of language, especially writing, is articulation. Rules of grammar and spelling are simply guidelines, and themselves mutable. Despite this, we attempt to conform to these rules in the interest of both forwarding our own understanding as well as making ourselves better understood to others.

What I'm getting at, I suppose, is that your ability to articulate yourself and understand the articulations of others (and by extension understand the world in which you operate) is directly connected to your capacity for understanding the structure of language. Most people are satisfied with a very basic understanding that serves them well in a utilitarian capacity. Others, like myself, have chosen to further explore the extent to which language can be used towards purposes requiring, let's say, a greater degree of finesse. This includes in both reading and writing, for example, in being able to compare a datasheet to a piece of classical fiction, or as another example, in using rhetoric such as this post to convince you of my point of view, hence bringing the world into a sense of order that is more consistent with my own impressions of what ought to be happening.

Last edited:
If you don't have the money to buy MS Word you could download OpenOffice.org for free but it doesn't come with a grammar checker; if you want one of them for free then you can download ABIWord, then install the grammar checking extension.

Also, some browsers such as Firefox, Opera and Konqueror come with a built-in spell checker.

Anyway, give him a break, English obviously isn't his first language and after make his first post he gets ripped for making a couple of errors. This hardly gives people a good impression of this forum. I'd understand if he was using sms-speak but he wasn't.

He has incredable english! He should feel good about himself for that! There are people in the U.S. with worst than that!!!

Lol...

Oh yeah you think your so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!

Krumlink said:
Lol...

Oh yeah you think your so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!

"Oh yeah, you think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"

Case and point, but I can't apologize for the use of the word "color." It's not my doing, and I can't convert the entire country to a different (albeit cooler) accent.

Hahahahaaha Im setting bad examples for our out of Country friends.

Hero999 said:
Anyway, give him a break, English obviously isn't his first language and after make his first post he gets ripped for making a couple of errors. This hardly gives people a good impression of this forum. I'd understand if he was using sms-speak but he wasn't.
Sorry, Antonio, it wasn't my intention to discourage you from further exploring the English language, in this forum or elsewhere. Like I said, the best way for you to get better is to practice, with a conscious effort towards improvement. Using spell-checking software is a great start: you'll look smarter than most people on the Internet (including those who speak English as a first language), and it will get you familiar with the proper spelling of words, which will make it easier for you to read English literature.

Considering "Oh yeah" doesn't help clarify the sentence following, yet are complete thoughts unto themselves, I believe that it should most likely be:

"Oh. Yeah. You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"

For the original poster,

If you are interested in a book thoroughly detailing the English language, might I recommend the following?

Practical English Usage by Michael Swan and published by Oxford University Press (ISBN: 0194420981).

It is laid out in encyclopedic form, so it does not lend itself well to reading from cover to cover. It is meant more as a comprehensive reference book, such as in those times when you ask yourself, "When am I allowed or supposed to use commas in an English sentence?" It even includes points about the differences between American and British usage of English grammar.

It is highly recommended among ESL (English Second Language) teachers as well as grammaticists.

TekNoir said:
There's definitely something wrong about the way Krumlink wrote this, particularly the punctuation, but I'm not sure I agree with your solution. Does anyone else feel like there ought to be a question mark in there somewhere? I think the comma after "Oh yeah" could suffice, but it could also be written:
"Oh yeah? You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
Or even:
"Oh, yeah? You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
Technically, "Oh yeah?" is not a complete sentence, but as a part of informal dialogue it's perfectly acceptable, even desirable for interesting fictional writing. In case you're curious, apparently the following is the shortest, legitimate, English sentence: "Go!"

Despite his incapacity to strictly adhere to the rules of the English language, Krumlink has succeeded in his writing (not just on this thread, but throughout the forum) where others have failed (not just here, but all over the world). I get a strong sense that the true character of Krumlink is adequately expressed by his writing, faults and all. What I mean is, I get the sense that if I were to meet Krumlink in person, I would probably get the same impression of him then as I do through his writing. This is the reason, for example, that resumes and cover letters work as part of the process of hiring.

It's fair to size up someone's character based on patterns in their behaviour, but it's not fair to judge people (and their present and future endeavours), especially young people, by one mistake (or one kind of mistake) in their lives. I bring this up for two reasons. First, it's a detriment to everyone if we allow ourselves to be distracted from everything else that's going on by obsessing over a single mistake made by one person.

Second, there was a motivational speaker at my work recently who had spoken to some people released into society after they had served serious time for their crimes. When he asked how well they cope with integrating back into society, the answer he got was, "Well, how would you feel if you felt that every single day people were judging you on the single, worst decision you ever made?" The motivational speaker's opinion on that was that in that sense, he was probably no better or worse a person than the released prisoners, the only difference being that they got caught.

Last edited:
It was a joke! I feel bad that Hank wrote all that to clarify my improper language. :)

Hank Fletcher,

I consider it impossible to guess at intended verbal inflection through reading writing without the initial proper use of punctuation.

I erred on the safe side by making each a statement and, thus, used periods. It would have been just as correct for each to be followed by an exclamation point or a question mark, depending on the original intention. If "Oh" was intended to be used as a direct address, then using a following comma would be correct.

So each of the following would be correct, depending upon original intentions:

"Oh? Yeah. You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
"Oh. Yeah? You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
"Oh? Yeah? You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
"Oh! Yeah. You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
"Oh. Yeah! You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
"Oh! Yeah! You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
"Oh, Yeah. You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
"Oh, Yeah? You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"
"Oh, Yeah! You think you're so smart with your PIC tutorials and stuff!"

By the way, I enjoyed your anecdote about the motivational speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back