Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heating Elements & Temperature Regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elut

Hello Everyone !

I've been reading that forum for quite a while now, but never registered until today, since now I have a question. :D

I'm now designing an automatized system, involving heating elements, but I've never used any in the past and then have a few questions.

All the system will be controlled by a computer-slaved Arduino Duemilanove (2009). So, I wonder:

- Can their temperature be controlled? Then, what could I use to make the temperature control connection from the heating element to the Arduino board ? Are there specific models of (submerged) heating elements which can be temperature controlled?

I have that picture of (submerged) heating element from my kitchen ware "plastic" water boiler which just involves an "On-Off" function. The heating elements heats until it boils, then when the water boils it turns off.

In the system I'm designing, I need to regulate the temeperature progressively at different specific temperatures, by the computer through the Arduino. (There will also be temperature sensors involved in the Rig, but I got that part figured out.)

I'm aware that my explanation is quite messy and that many things might be confusing to understand for you all...

Don't hesitate to ask me any more precise explanation !

Thanks in advance for the help !

Elut

Just about any heating element can be controlled remotely, you just need some kind control circuitry to turn it on and off and a good temperature sensor in a smart place. It really depends entirely on the heating elements you chose as I'm sure there are a vast number out there, some I'm sure with adjustable built in temperature controls. You'd probably be best off discussing this with a company that provides heating coils. If the heating element is not too inductive they can be switched on and off very easily with solid state relays. Just be mindful of manufacture directions, submerged heating coils tend to self destruct pretty fast if the liquid level drops too low, some have built in cutoffs some don't.

Thanks for the answer!

I've also had a bad experience with my -first- kitchenware electric water boiler when I forgot to fill it with water before to turn it on. So I know what you mean and will keep that in mind :D

For the temperature control, I should get/build something like that:

**broken link removed**
(**broken link removed**)

But I would need to get the arduino board talking to it and be able to set-up the temperatures and the steps lengths from the computer.

Any idea, tips or base to provide me?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back