Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Headphones not Working after Wiring the Wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGuy2020

Hey, so I bought those Gaming Headset ZM-HPS300 and it got broken within 1 year. The cable started to not working properly producing weird noises due to the daily use and guess the cheap price (20$). So I tried to fix them without a soldering gun but couldn't make it work. Here's some photos of those wires. Would be appreciated if I get any fast answer. Thank you

I took the photos before cutting the wires and cable. So I tried to cut off 3cm of the cable and cut the 5 wires since the problem was closer to the left side of the headphones cable. I tried to fix it by wiring those wires but didn't work and couldn't even hear any sound anymore. Is there any way I can connect them properly without using a Soldering Gun? Since nobody accepted to connect those tiny wires in my city and couldn't fix it myself
2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you twisted together and taped together the wires that are still insulated. The plastic insulation must be removed with a wire stripper tool that you do not have.
It is time for you to replace the broken headphones with new headphones.
Be more careful with the new ones.

It looks like you twisted together and taped together the wires that are still insulated. The plastic insulation must be removed with a wire stripper tool that you do not have.
I guess I should but I wrote this post shortly cause the other post got lost and don't know where it gone and was too lazy to write it all again lmao. So the taped wires together are the way it was when i opened up the headphones. So I didn't make any change here but I just cut the the cable 3-4cm to remove the bad wires and cut off the 5 wires that are in the photo. As for buying a new ones, sadly I can't find any that fits my preference and it takes a month or more to arrive, so I can't really buy any others at the moment.

Is there any way I can do to connect the wires without a soldering gun? I really need those headphones as I am comfortable with them

You could try holding the twisted end of each joint in the flame of a gas cigarette lighter for a few seconds to burn off any insulation.
It's a technique sometimes used on some thin wires & especially "tinsel cable".

As you have already twisted the wires, put around 6 - 10mm of the twisted wire in to the blue part of the gas flame; don't put it over the top of the flame.

Then untwist and re-twist it to get any traces of burnt plastic or lacquer out of the joint. It should look bright rather than black.
You could also fold the twisted section in half to make it more compact before taping it.

It may be worth practicing on some bits of the wire you cut out, to judge how long it needs to get rid of the insulation fully, without damaging the copper strands.

If there is enough room, you could add some very small nylon "chocolate block" screw terminals in individual sections to ensure the joints do not fail over time, putting the twisted wire joint in to just one side of each section and tightening the screw gently to hold the twisted connection solidly.

This style stuff:

I just tried to fix it that way, burned off the insulations of the 5 wires and the others one which had to connect with and cleaned the black burned isulation until it looked bright enough. then taped the wires with a black tape the same way as they were before opening up the headphones but without actually not using any soldering thing. And oh boy! They are now working like brand new ones and as they were in the beginning after doing some tests. I couldn't really find any tiny nylon connectors around but I actually fixed it without them. Thank you so much for the tips, I really appreciate the help. I hope they will work fine until I buy a brand new ones , so I can replace them.

Here's some photos how I wired and taped them:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
It's good to know they are working OK.

Without any mechanical pressure on the twisted joints, there is a chance they may work loose over time and need re-twisting - but they could also be perfect for years.

Hopefully it's the latter!

It's good to know they are working OK.

Without any mechanical pressure on the twisted joints, there is a chance they may work loose over time and need re-twisting - but they could also be perfect for years.

Hopefully it's the latter!
Thanks a lot for the will to help man. ;) The funny thing is i've been trying to send the headphones in different services which they had access to a soldering gun but none even had the courage to take them and actually fix them for a whole week. In this pesimist world we have to actually try ourselves and get the courage to actually make something we want happen, otherwise you will DIE before the HOPE will, hopping them to help you at an certain thing. Thank you again man, I really appreciate your optimism. ;) I've tested them for 4 hours and they are producing crystal clear sound like brand new ones without even having any issue. I guess I will have alreay bought the other ones before they die until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back