HDD positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansis

Can a HDD be mounted any way up ? I know it's common to see optical drives mounted vertically but cant recall seeing a hard drive on its side.

tansis said:
Can a HDD be mounted any way up ? I know it's common to see optical drives mounted vertically but cant recall seeing a hard drive on its side.

It's been commonly done in various computers over the years, many cases have internal sideways slots for hard drives.

Styx said:
well they have harddrive in space

That's interesting.

The heads of common harddrive rely on a thin film of air to "float" on the disc surface. Wonder whether the drive in space is operating in an air tight container?

Anybody knows?

Fascinating.. are they active during launch or when the craft changes position.

Heres a space question for you all...
Can robots suffocate ? :lol:

I am guessing no

but I am not to sure.

Just kidding, for all those people out there that don't get sarcasim.

That depend's because suffocating is when a life-form can not get any oxygen to the heart.

With a robot it would have to be giving a robot know information but that would just like it bieng off so I don't think so.

But if you think about it, if the driver's motor isn't 100% perfectly balanced, then it'll get distroyed, because of the Earth's gravitation (if you mount if vertically).

You see, if it's mounted horizontally, then if the drive isn't balanced correctly, then there would be a sligh movement from left to right, but since the force to the right and to the left is the same (nothing else influences it), then it's fine.
BUT, if you mount it vertically, the unbalanched part till have a double-forder acting on it: centrifugal (due to unbalncement) and gravitation. This force will be greater on the bottom than on the top (because centrifugal force will add with gravitation on the bottom, but will substract from it on the top). So, the drive will have a greater deal of vibration, probably resulting in a much faster destruction.

That's how I see it

TI|CP

Try consulting the manufacturers documention, they usually specify the drives are perfectly OK in any position.

I would imagine that something required to spin at a minimum of 5200 RPM, and in faster drives, 10,000 RPM, for hours on end ( no pun intended ) would have to be pretty darn well balanced in the first place.

The bearings are designed to prevent any movement parallel to their axis or the heads would crash into the surface, damaging both. The rest of the motor needs to be very stable laterally or the drive would have an impossible job reading tracks about 1.5 microns apart.

The heads are sprung into mechanical contact with the platers, a cushion of air molecules dragged around by the platters surface friction separates the head from platter under operation.

I have 2 Compaq machines with vertical drives, that have run nearly continuously for more than 5 years, no drive problems. Many makers do this, it's very common.

Hard drives are an amazing electro-mechanical technology that is often taken for granted. If you consider the accuracy of movement involved, it is a wonder that drives work at all , and are so cheap.

I can see your reasoning, however I can assure you that modern and bygone hdd's (IDE/SATA/SCSI) can be mounted in vertical or horizontal position, I've never come accross any that cant. However its not good practive to actually move a drive whilst powered on (including walking about with your lappy turned on) - you never catch me doing that

What about the iPOD then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…