Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Having Trouble with ExpressPCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

AXmichigan

Having Trouble with ExpressPCB software

Hey all
I am new to PCB's and all of that, so i really appreciate all the help
I listened to one of my friends, and designed my PCB for creation using Express PCB software
So far I have successffuly created all my schematics using the ExpressSCH software
But I am having some trouble to create them as PCB and could really use some help

I did what they said and clicked the "link schematic to PCB link"
But it did nothing!
Nothing on the screen changed and I am very confused
Am I doing something wrong??

Thanks!

Last edited:
I too wondered what that function did.
Having looked through the help file I found this;

"While not required, we suggest that you draw a schematic for your circuit using the ExpressSCH program. By linking your schematic, ExpressPCB will guide you by highlighting the pins that should be connected together with traces."

Hope that helps.

What that does is link the component identifiers (R1, C3, D2.....) in the schematic to the components with the same identifier (R1, C3, D2.....) that you have added to the PCB. Once linked, if you select the "Highlight net connections" button (lower left) and click the cursor on a component's pad, it will highlight all other component pads that are connected to it in the schematic.

If you make changes in the schematic while editing the PCB, make sure you re-save the schematic, and refresh the link in the PCB.

Ken

I figured it out
and I drew a PCB
thanks! :)

I was wondering acouple things:
is there a way to check the PCB schematic like there is with the ExpressSCH?
I just need to make sure that no wires over lap each other right?
It does not matter if a wire goes either on a layer under a chip does it?

Thanks!

is there a way to check the PCB schematic like there is with the ExpressSCH?
I just need to make sure that no wires over lap each other right?
Not exactly the same. When the "Highlight net connections" button is selected, a set of four buttons appear in the upper right corner:
[|<][<][>][>|]
[|<] takes you to the pads at the start of the net list and highlights (Blue) them.
[>|] takes you to the end of the net list.
[<] move you up the net list.
[>] move you down the net list.
Deselecting the silkscreen (Yellow) layer makes it easier to see.
Start with [|<].
Step through with [>].
Make sure that all highlighted pads at each step are connected together with traces.
It will also warn you if there are pads in the schematic's net list that it can't find on the board.
Since it steps you through all of the traces, it's a good time to see if any traces on the same side cross or are too close.

It does not matter if a wire goes either on a layer under a chip does it?

No, unless you're running low level analog signals under digital or power chips. But this gets into "best practice" layout techniques, which I do not feel really qualified to address. ;)

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back