Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Have i done right with this circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like a proper substitute. But if you did not find the reason the first one blew out, the new one will not last very long.

It is basically your transmit power switch. It did not fail alone.

You've used a good replacement, but have not done right unless you know why it failed in the first place.

If you don't want to hear this, say so but please don't continue to ignore me.

It is basically your transmit power switch. It did not fail alone.

You've used a good replacement, but have not done right unless you know why it failed in the first place.

If you don't want to hear this, say so but please don't continue to ignore me.

Hi Mneary. Thanks for your response. I think i blew it by turning the fm carrier wattage too high. I've now took it back to its original state and all seems ok with the new component. All the best wishes and cheers.

I've heard that nte is remarked crap, so i'm glad to have put a similar 2sb Sanyo transistor in its place. Back to the query, anyone think i've done right please?.
About 3 decades ago we were switching from ECG to NTE replacements. Out of hundreds of NTE replacements I never had any problems. Yes in a pinch I have replaced transistors or tubes with something that worked. But as an engineer and a professional I replaced them with the correct part. Put in a few more subs and see if the unit still adheres to OEM specs. True it is only a switch but I still tend to stick to OEM specs. Please do not confuse your amatuer techniques with a professional opinion and many decades of experience. Now you have heard from someone that is familiar with and has many years experience of using NTE replacements. No you didn't do right. It was an unprofessional fix. BTW I had a CB repair shop for a few years and know how to put a tiger in the tank. I can put 40 or more channels in a White Face Johnson (tubes). I have worked on rice burners too..

Last edited:
Hi Mneary. Thanks for your response. I think i blew it by turning the fm carrier wattage too high. I've now took it back to its original state and all seems ok with the new component. All the best wishes and cheers.
Thanks for your response. I hope I wasn't too harsh.

NTE don't make anything except a huge profit.
They buy parts, re-mark them with their own numbers and print a very brief spec sheet without any details. ECG was the same.

One of their transistors might replace hundreds of original transistors. Frequently a spec does not match the original part and the "fix" using their replacement won't work.

NTE don't make anything except a huge profit.
They buy parts, re-mark them with their own numbers and print a very brief spec sheet without any details. ECG was the same.

One of their transistors might replace hundreds of original transistors. Frequently a spec does not match the original part and the "fix" using their replacement won't work.

In the military of course we used MIL-SPECS parts both electronic and mechanic in missle systems. Although sometimes at sea or in a foreign country we had to make do with yankee ingenuity. As a bench and outside tech for RCA, Zenith, and other major brands of course we used OEM parts and yes I did attend their seminars and factory schools.

My electronics history consists of over five decades of professional electronics repair. ten years in the USN on missle systems.The other 4 decades in TV repair and along the path I acquired a a couple of degrees in electronics. I am 69 now and have forgotten more than any here will learn. I was the Chief Engineer of KTVS in Sterling CO for over 5 years and have installed antenna distribution systems, intercom systems and professional audio systems. I currently have a karaoke system that is first rate.

site

While I will show respect here for others opinions I will not take insults or insinuations that my opinions are not noteworthy. I no longer eat and sleep electronics like a nerd but persue my main love which is singing (Old old country) . So without posting my resume here I will continue to post and offer advise. Thank You Ollie Smith BSEE ASEE.. I can give you better advise on mic tecniques and such now!!! And yes on multitracking, mixing, and mastering audio recordings ROFL.. Google DAW..

Last edited:
I've recently had a chat with my uncle who worked for Greater Manchester Police UK tech support which entailed electronic engineering with rf equipment and working on the police helicopter for 12 years. He now works in a similar post for the ministry of defence. Even he agrees i've done right with my substitution as it's very similar and rated at an higher collector current. He also agrees that nte is crap. So karyoker, your opinion falls on deaf ears to me. Cheers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back