Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hardware interrupts, extend no. of outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,

I have one of my external hardware interrupts set up, and it has one funny little problem - when I even touch the wire of the switch on the breadboard, it triggers the interrupt as well. Any ideas to prevent such over-sensitivity?

Also, what's the best way to extend a microcontroller's number of outputs? I've read out that the D-flip-flops could do so. :rolleyes:

Assuming a switched ground.
Pull ups.. If you are relying on the internal pull up of the microcontroller you are using (if your uC has one, you haven't mentioned what it is), these are called weak pullups for a reason and maybe inadequate for your breadboard setup.

Buy an I/O expander. They are cheap. Something like this:
Parts: 8bit IO Expander (PCF8574) - Hack a Day

I've got the hardware interrupts done finally with the pull-ups.

Next thing is the 74LS174N shift registers I've them on my hand.

I've wired the inputs/outputs of the shift register to a bunch of LEDs, and however, all of the LEDs are lit up only and refuses to budge when I tested it with some clock pulses. Any good guides to wiring up these? :D

What I do to expand the ports is to use 4 output ports to control a 74hc138 decoder and it will select each of 74HC373 data latches. Now you can have a total of 64 outputs off of 4 processor outputs. So you will run your data bus, say 8 data output ports to the D inputs of all the '373s and you can latch them up individually with unique data for each one by selecting one at a time through the '138 "one of eight decoder" chip by attaching Y0 through Y7 to "OC" output control of each '373.

Here ya go ;)

Attachments

• Twink-5-Sch-B&W.gif
    Twink-5-Sch-B&W.gif
    24.5 KB · Views: 128
That's a pretty "resource intensive" solution Varmint (using 12 PIC pins).

Here's an example of another solution, courtesy of guru' Roman Black's Shift1 System for 1-wire Shift Registers, that uses a single pin and relatively inexpensive 8-bit serial-to-parallel latch ICs.

Happy Holidays. Mike

Attachments

• RB Shift1 7-Segment.PNG
    RB Shift1 7-Segment.PNG
    34.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back