Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hard Drive eSATA connections too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack0987

I have two of these hot swap racks in a separate case.
I have determined that the connecting data cables are too long (over 1 meter) causing intermittent performance at best.

What to do?
Possibly, the cables could be cut shorter, and soldered back together. Can that be done?
Convert to USB for longer cable support?
Use existing converters or make my own converter cables?

Note the little 4 pin power connector attached to the SATA power connector in picture #3.

Please comment and offer suggestions.

king1.jpg

king2.jpg

king3.jpg

The SATA specification allows for a total connection length of up to 1m.
That includes the PCB traces etc. at either end.
Ref: https://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/kb/serial-ata-sata-data-cable-lengths-182453en/

If you can get away with cables around 80cm, then should be OK? They are readily available at that length by the look of it.

I would suggest also adding a fairly heavy ground cable between the metalwork of the two cases to avoid any ground noise problems.

If you can get away with cables around 80cm, then should be OK? They are readily available at that length by the look of it.

I would suggest also adding a fairly heavy ground cable between the metalwork of the two cases to avoid any ground noise problems.

Adding the ground is no problem.

The eSATA cables I have to go from case to case are 18" long like this.
I only need them to be about 8" long.
Can I cut and splice them back together?
A couple additional such cut and splices will put me well under your suggested 80 cm.

eSATAcable.jpg

ESATA is rated for cables up to 2m long! (I never realised that..)
They ones you have should be fine, unless one is faulty.

I'd suspect power problems rather than the data cables, as they are well below the maximum.

How are you powering the external drives?

ESATA is rated for cables up to 2m long! (I never realised that..)
They ones you have should be fine, unless one is faulty.

I'd suspect power problems rather than the data cables, as they are well below the maximum.

How are you powering the external drives?

There could be a faulty cable. I will need to do more testing. Could be a day or two for me to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back