Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hand-made Nixie Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeng

Here's a link to a youtube video of a guy who makes nixie tubes.
It's a bit long at about 38 minutes in length, but I found it interesting; I hope you find it interesting as well.

LINK

Hi jbeng,

Interesting video. The guy obviously goes for quality.:)

I'm wondering if there is that much demand for nixie tubes, and I wonder if he is running his operation at a profit.

spec

Evidently he took care of the minimal details :woot:, spending four years of his life and a bunch of money in all the equipment. And he is paying personnel. Doing that for a living?

Apparently from his webpage it looks like it was all just a hobby until he found a bankrupt firm that used to be selling all kinds of vacuum stuff (pumps, valves...). He bought their stock, refurbished it and sold it and got the money to start pursuing his dream.
Also he is from my country, so I might be kind of biased, but I love that someone still here has got the balls to start such a niche business.
BTW, could you build something like an animated neon sign, but instead of neon tubes use one huge nixie with just wires for the patterns?

I love that someone still here has got the balls to start such a niche business.

I admire people who take a risk and put in the effort to start a business. It is something that I have always wanted to do but never had the guts.:arghh:

spec

Masochist here. I'm thinking of my fourth attempt, but maybe this time I'll make money!
Good for you Rich D. The only way to succeed in life is to keep trying and do not let failure/problems faze you.

I read a lot of books about achievers: Theodore Roosevelt, Nikola Tesla ... and achievements: building the Panama canal, developing the Boeing 747 ... One characteristic that stands out is the ability to persevere in adversity and the ability to take (calculated) risks.

Starting and running a business is a huge subject: maybe a good topic for a 'Member's Lounge' thread.:cool: (UPDATE 2016_10_07 done: https://www.electro-tech-online.com...climb-a-mountain-build-your-own-house.149182/ )

spec

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back