Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Halogen lamp flasher

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmer

I need to build a flasher unit that controls a 220 volts halogen lamp. I have tried to look for some circuits on the net, but the only circuits that I found were only to drive either LEDs or normal lamps. Thanks for your help.

Use the circuit for normal filament lamps. A halogen bulb just has halogen gas inside, it still has a filament.
Because of that you wont get any fast flashing rates, the filament cannot cool down fast enough. You'll also most likely shorten its life by trying to flash the bulb.
Why not a xenon tube flasher?

A simple 555 circuit triggering a solid state relay would do the trick, make sure the relay is rated for for the proper voltage and current.
Like Klaus said, you won't be able to flash it very fast because it's a halogen ..

If you want to get reasonable life from any type of incandescent lamp when flashing, you need to have a "keep warm" circuit.

This will actually pass a small current through the lamp, when it is off. Not enough to produce a visible light, but enough to keep the filiament hot. This reduces the thermal shock, and lets the lamp come up to full bright faster.

I do this at work with PWM, using a reduced rate during the off cycle, and it vastly extends the life of the lamps. One thing to note about halogen lamps.. the halogen design produces a very high level of heat inside the lamp to attain its design effect, which is to help recombine some of the filiament boiled off during use. Lowering filiament temperatures can prevent this. Therefore there is a trade-off when using halogen lamps.. to slow a duty cycle can shorten their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back