Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hall effect sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
koyeh182 said:
can anybody tell me how hall effect sensor works?
i want to detect a direction.

A hall effect device measures the strength of a magnetic field, if you want to detect a direction a digital compass would probably be a better bet.

if i use digital compass, this device must always stay horizontal.
but my project need something that can measure direction at any condition.
my project is for indoor application. i mean, in a building. :wink:

koyeh182 said:
Does this mean you want to measure direction in 3-dimensional space (azimuth and elevation) as opposed to just azimuth, or are you wanting a compass that will determine azimuth regardless of its orientation?

koyeh182 said:

Perhaps you ought to post exactly what you are trying to do?, a hall effect sensor is normally used for detecting a moving magnet - often on a rotating shaft or wheel. VCR's usually have a fair few inside, used as reel sensors (although some VCR's use IR sensors instead), and as sensors in the capstan and drum motors.

The most sensitive hall effect sensor I have found is made by Allegro, but their best is not good enuf to work with the earth's magnetic field. Even so, their website may give you some info on how they work. Most electonic compasses use some form of flux gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back