Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hair Dryer circuit - Ryobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

b.james

I want to disable the heating element in this hair dryer and just use the blower Tbut it looks like it may use that heater element to limit the current to the blower motor ?
I attach a picture It is a two speed model with the slow speed obtained by only passing the one half of each cycle I think . There is a diode bridge setup at the back of the blower motor and I have cut the black and blue wires thinking I could bypass the heater that way. That didn't work

Is anyone familiar with this type of circuit and can you suggest how I might achieve the above please?
P2030083.JPG
P2030082.JPG

Attachments

• P2030082.JPG
    P2030082.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 592
You have worked it out yourself. It is very common to use the heating element as a voltage divider to power the fan.

To make it run cold, you might get away with just a resistor, which would produce less heat than the heating element, as you would use it as series resistor not a voltage divider. However you would have to work out the value carefully.

A transformer feeding the motor, via a rectifier would work.

Either way you would need to measure the running voltage on the motor, with the usual care when working with mains. If you go for the resistor method, you also need to measure the motor current quite accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back