Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H1n1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, in the UK no one has actually died from swineflu, the deaths have all been from other conditions - as you say Eric, it's pre-existing problems which make it dangerous.

Or, deaths from more serious conditions being misdiagnosed by 16-year-olds on the phone as swine flu:

The distraught father of a teenage girl who died after her tonsillitis was deemed to be swine flu is calling for over-the-phone diagnosis to be scrapped.<snip>

Following revelations that 16-year-olds are being employed at a swine flu call centre, there are also fears that many of those doling out advice and the anti-viral drug Tamilfu are not qualified to do so.

Last week the parents of a girl of two told how their daughter died of meningitis after she was misdiagnosed.

John

Last edited:
That's the danger with scares such as this: people, including doctors, jump to the wrong conclusion.

As I understand it, in the UK no one has actually died from swineflu, the deaths have all been from other conditions - as you say Eric, it's pre-existing problems which make it dangerous.
While I agree that I am not a medical person, I fear, most citizens are not free from ailments, and when swine flue attacks, the reports appear to be saying that the patient also had , x, y and z issues.
At this stage, one should remember that the patient had been managing with those x, y and z. Now after Swine flue attack, if one could not survive, we can't say that he/she died due to other issues rather than Swine....

Last edited:
Thats rather normal of most people who die of illness. Its not just one virus or disease that does them in but the compounded effects of several things that takes them down.

The media just jumps on the most recent scare tactic that happens to be possibly one of several and may not actually the most deadly one involved either.:mad:

If the world health organization gets a bug in their butt over hang nails you can be sure most people that died with a hang nail will be labeled as the latest hang nail death victims even thought its not the real cause or even a major contributer. It was just there and thats good enough for some to believe it was the whole cause in its self. :(

So take care of hour hands! you never know when rough dry skin on your ring finger will kill you!:rolleyes:

If I am not mistaken, the flu virus often breaks down ones immunity which leads to further complications like pneumonia.

The CDC and media here in America reacted properly in my opinion. They were not sure how the virus would spread or how virulent it would be, the mutations of the virus were uncertain. Considering this, the best thing was to warn the public of a possible outbreak.

The viral scientist do not have a crystal ball and cannot foresee all possible outcomes of an outbreak of a virus. Prudent thinking would provoke one to err on the side of caution.

I am amused by the conspiracy theorist that believe this whole H1N1 scare was an attempt to pump the profits of the antiviral industry.

Perhaps it would have been better that the CDC and media said nothing, the planet does have too many people. I don't mean that, but I hope I made my point.

If I am not mistaken, the flu virus often breaks down ones immunity which leads to further complications like pneumonia.

I am amused by the conspiracy theorist that believe this whole H1N1 scare was an attempt to pump the profits of the antiviral industry.

Perhaps it would have been better that the CDC and media said nothing, the planet does have too many people. I don't mean that, but I hope I made my point.

I was expressing this opinion y-day locally with some one. In fact I even feel whether the virus is created as a tool to promote business.

I was expressing this opinion y-day locally with some one. In fact I even feel whether the virus is created as a tool to promote business.

It is always possible I suppose, but let's hope this is not the case. If it were true, then perhaps mankind should perish as this would indicate mankind has lost its soul.

Last edited:
People should be concerned, and should know how to limit exposure and transfer. Even if it's not as bad, as the media hype. It's been a very successful virus these past few months, and we are heading into more favorable conditions. My job is going really suck, if even 10% of our workforce calls in sick. Considering the work areas, it would only take one sick employee to infect the whole department. And we have some very sloppy, inconsiderate people, who can't afford to take time off.

Anyway, the virus doesn't want to kill it's host. The host gives it life, allows it to spread and multiple. It's our immune system that causes most of the trouble, makes use feel sick. Most of the cold/flu symptoms are being caused by the virus, to make a better home, it's our bodies trying to create a more hostile environment to rid itself of the invader. Unfortunately, it also weakens us as well, and opens the door for more serious problems. So yeah, if we had a condition before the flu, it'll be a bigger, potentially deadly problem.

Personally, I don't like getting sick, and do what I can to prevent it. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot people who crave the attention, the fussing over, a few days/weeks off work, laying around watching TV, the sympathy. For those of you who looking forward, PM your adress when you catch it, I'll send flowers. Flowers are great for sick people, the cheer you up while your puking in a bucket (masking the stench). If delivery is a little slow, they can still be appropriate in passing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back