Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H-Bridge DC Motor - PWM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made PCB board based on this schematics.
When i put input A on +5V and input B on 0V, motor goes one way, and when A is 0V and B +5V, motor goes the other way. So this is great

The problem is when i try to control the speed with PWM. A is for example on 20% duty cycle, and B is 0% duty cycle, but the motor doesnt run at 20% of its max speed.

Also when inputs are manualy connected to A=+5V and B=0V (motor is running and current is 0.3A), and i disconnect input B (A is still on +5V), it stops and the current is now above 3A (mosfets are designet for 195A and 30A so 3A shouldnt be a problem, but it doesnt work)

Is something wrong with my hardware or with the software (Arduino)?

Code:
int potPin = 3;
int A = 1;
int B = 0;

void setup() {               
  pinMode(A, OUTPUT); 
  pinMode(B, OUTPUT); 
}

void loop() {
  int value = analogRead(A3);    

if (value <= 510) {
  value = map(value, 0, 510, 255, 0);
  analogWrite(A, value);
  digitalWrite(B, LOW);
  delay(100);
}

if (value > 510) {
  value = map(value, 510, 1023, 0, 255);
  analogWrite(B, value);
  digitalWrite(A, LOW);
  delay(100);
}
  }

Attachments

• H-Bridge DC.JPG
    H-Bridge DC.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 201
  • 10K is a rather large value of R for given Ciss for transition turn-off delay and shootthru failure.
  • losses will be excessive but dependant on PWM rate.
  • R5,6 obviously enable shootthru failure with floating B

Analyze existing bridge driver chip designs before attempting your own.

The shoot-through currents on this design will be horrific. I recommend to newbies to use four port pins when controlling a H-bridge with a micro. Then you can use software delays to make sure that left P is off before you turn on left N and vice versa, and vice versa to the other side.

PWM becomes trivial if you have four port pins, too...

Working is good but how much margin and load?

I dont recall control C&D unless a mirror like bridge.

FYI Shootthru margin degrades with EMF and high surge current induced with rapid changing directions.

Margin also changes with device junction temperature rise with faster turn-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back