Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

guitar amp fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeara

Hi, I'm trying to determine what value fuse goes in an amp I bought, it didn't have one and where can I get one? I tried the company site but no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks Mikeara

As you offer no information whatsoever, not even what country you're in (for the mains voltage), how do you expect help?.

Post the make and model, the output power and your mains voltage, see if anyone knows.

Have you verified that a fuse isn't already soldered directly on the PC board? While better- professional brand amplifiers have panel-mounted fuse holders for easy replacement, perhaps your amp has a fuse internally. Seems dangerous for a manufacturer not to fuse a circuit that operates from mains voltage!

Thanks for your reply Hi-Tech, I think you are right because the system powers up and has outputs on two of the channels but it has no output on Channel one. I've been away from the electronics field for a long time and its a trip trying to remember what I use to know... Thanks again, Mikeara

What make/model amp are we talking about?

Last edited:
Hi Jon Wilder, the guitar amp is a Carvin AG100D with a pcb of 30-01019-1 Rev.D It has 100W. output. I see an empty fuse holder so I may be mistaking that for the functional fuse circuit. The unit powers up once I plug it in but I have three input jacks and the first channel has no output but the second channel seems to work ok when I plug my guitar in it. On the first channel input I get a lot of popping when I plug my guitar jack in. Looking at the pcb I don't see any components that look or smell burned . On testing the diodes with an ohm meter in circuit some of them read shorts both way which I don't think is right . There are quite a few op amps in the circuit. That's about all I've done, a visual inspection and a basic ohmeter reading. I appreciate your interest Jon Wilder, thank you Mikeara from Arizona

Hi Jon Wilder, the guitar amp is a Carvin AG100D with a pcb of 30-01019-1 Rev.D It has 100W. output. I see an empty fuse holder so I may be mistaking that for the functional fuse circuit. The unit powers up once I plug it in but I have three input jacks and the first channel has no output but the second channel seems to work ok when I plug my guitar in it. On the first channel input I get a lot of popping when I plug my guitar jack in. Looking at the pcb I don't see any components that look or smell burned . On testing the diodes with an ohm meter in circuit some of them read shorts both way which I don't think is right . There are quite a few op amps in the circuit. That's about all I've done, a visual inspection and a basic ohmeter reading. I appreciate your interest Jon Wilder, thank you Mikeara from Arizona

Without knowing how those diodes are arranged in circuit I couldn't tell ya. Lots of guitar amps that use clipping diodes for overdrive circuitry have them reverse back to back (one oriented in the opposite direction of the other) so that they would read shorted both ways when the meter applies 0.7V across them while in circuit. Some amps will use them as a limiting circuit to keep from slamming the input to the next gain stage too hard.

As far as the fuse value, if this is F1 we're talking about this amp calls for a 5 Amp fast acting fuse in that position. Here is a link to the manual for that amp. Scroll down to the last page and you'll see the bill of materials and the value for F1 is listed in the far right column towards the bottom of it -

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/10/AG100D.pdf

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I found the info on the fuse Jon, thanks for that and for the insight to the circuit. Have a great day, Mikeara

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back