Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM / GPRS and the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,

I have been using Telit's GSM modules these modules give you a serial connection to the internet via a on borad TCP/IP stack, What you do is a set of commands that are specific to Telit to get a internet connection, once established you simply output data over a serial link to PC at the other end. This is great if all you want is to write some specific code to transfer data but what I would like to do now is have what I call a normal PC like TCP/IP connection via GSM/GPRS. This would allow all the standard libraries and other utilities to be used as if it was on a PC. Anyone got any idea how this is done. basically I'm looking for a overview or at least a pointer of how this is done.

Thanks

Steve

We use the Telit modules to collect data from web pages by GPRS. We also send data to the web server in the URL.

I realise that you can also send data by email, FTP or direct port connection but I don't know how that is done. However, they are all different ways of getting data over the GPRS connection.

I don't understand what else you want to do. What sort of utilities are you wanting to access? It seems odd that you would access a utility via GPRS when the PC can run any code you want. May be I've got the wrong end of the stick....

You'll need to get more information from Telit directly. If you can establish a TCP/IP link already then a good chunk of the work is done for you already, problem is you gotta write the software yourself for any protocols that you want to support.
This may or may not be available from the company. My brother in law just got an HP net-book through Verizon wireless which supports full internet connectivity over GSM, so there are products like this on the market already. May just be easier to buy one of them. That may or may not help you considering you didn't mention what the telit module is actually connected to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back