GSM and SIM card

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdman0_o

Google has been returning no useful hits.

I have found plenty of GSM modules, but when I try to find an appropriate sim card or information about that subject is when I start shooting blanks. Do you need a to pay a monthly fee with a cellphone company?

Enlighten me guys!
Thanks

Do you think you're going to get free service?

The SIM card is 'sponored' by an operator.

SIM subsity lock is a phone SW feature. You can take a SIM card from a subsity locked phone (phone that only works on original operator) and put it in an unlocked phone.

If you have a GSM phone you can use the SIM card from your phone to test the GSM module you have.

Different countries have different business models on how service is sold.

In Europe you can buy airtime alacart and they give you a SIM card to go into a phone you already have. This would be a good option for you if offered in your area.

A GSM phone (or module) will not even attempt to camp on a system without a SIM card.

Last edited:
Well, I want only to "text" with this module, should I look into the price of a pay-as-you go SIM card and look for a texting package?

Prepaid- bell.ca

It seems you can pay $0.15 Canadian for a text. If you pay $20 per month to Virgin Canada you can get unlimited texts.

What information are you sending by text? It might cost less to send by GPRS.

Ok so, if I understand GPRS is a different way to pay, its charged by data used?
Will this be compatible with any GSM module?

Ok so, if I understand GPRS is a different way to pay, its charged by data used?
Will this be compatible with any GSM module?

All the GSM modules that I have used will do GPRS, but you haven't said which one you are using.

GPRS connects a GSM phone to the internet, so you can use email or web protocols to send data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…