Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GSM and SIM card

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdman0_o

Google has been returning no useful hits.

I have found plenty of GSM modules, but when I try to find an appropriate sim card or information about that subject is when I start shooting blanks. Do you need a to pay a monthly fee with a cellphone company?

Enlighten me guys!

Do you think you're going to get free service?

The SIM card is 'sponored' by an operator.

SIM subsity lock is a phone SW feature. You can take a SIM card from a subsity locked phone (phone that only works on original operator) and put it in an unlocked phone.

If you have a GSM phone you can use the SIM card from your phone to test the GSM module you have.

Different countries have different business models on how service is sold.

In Europe you can buy airtime alacart and they give you a SIM card to go into a phone you already have. This would be a good option for you if offered in your area.

A GSM phone (or module) will not even attempt to camp on a system without a SIM card.

Last edited:
Do you need a to pay a monthly fee with a cellphone company?
Oddly enough the sole reason for the phone company to be in business is to make money, so no free lunch (or cell phone service)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back