Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

grounding and corrosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

My greenhouse got a little soggy and rusted a little bit, and i was wondering if i could i use a power supply or somthing to reverse the rust process, would this work? also if i attached the supply to ground which polarity would i connect to the greenhouse to create this effect?

Also i got a gas heater in it that is for a car passenger seat, the gas heater requests that i ground to chasis, should i honour this request and how would this impact the rust process on the greenhouse?

Thanks!

Zinc cathodes are used to prevent corrosion on ships, so I'd expect a similar system to slow or stop rust where the frame is in contact with soil.

I can't see anything like that affecting metal clear of the ground. You could try something like Hammerite "Kurust" or a phosphoric acid rust remover - they both leave a rust-resistant surface on iron or steel.

The heater chassis presumably connects to PSU negative.

its cos i had to tarp it, but greenhouses do get humid appearantly.
well, ya but im actually more interested in the dynamic of ionization as preventative measure for rusting

As far as I am aware, ionisation of a metal can only occur by direct contact with something either corrosive or conductive?

I cannot see how any electrical charge on the above-ground framework could affect corrosion by such as condensation, as the droplets will take whatever charge is on the frame and there is nothing to apply any relative charge between the droplet liquid and the metal, unlike in water or soil with conductive surroundings.

It needs some kind of surface treatment to either block corrosion or guarantee electrolytic effects no matter the point water contacts it, such as from an eg. zinc based protective paint.

Here in Australia they sell an electronic rust proofing system for cars, I think it's pure snake oil but am willing to be corrected. They also sell zinc blocks for welding to boat (aluminium) hulls which do work.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back