Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ground problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pady

Hi everyone,

I m doing relay operation using micro controller.
I have one problem is that, I have +24 Vdc & gnd for power supply.
Two types of power supply i used. i.e. one for microcontroler i.e. +5 V using 7805. & other
one is for Relay supply.
So, problem is that i want to seperate these two grounds but i have only one ground.

So plz suggest me any idea.

Hi everyone,

I m doing relay operation using micro controller.
I have one problem is that, I have +24 Vdc & gnd for power supply.
Two types of power supply i used. i.e. one for microcontroler i.e. +5 V using 7805. & other
one is for Relay supply.
So, problem is that i want to seperate these two grounds but i have only one ground.
So plz suggest me any idea.

hi,
Use a opto-isolator on the output pin of the PIC to isolate the relay driver transistor base

Need more clarification on question.

Is your relay operated on 24 volts OR your output device is operated on 24?

I have used on 5 v and 12 volt relays. I have never heard of 24 volt relay.

hi rushi,
The 24V relay option is a common voltage.

Attachments

• HRMseries.pdf
    275.5 KB · Views: 338
Need more clarification on question.

Is your relay operated on 24 volts OR your output device is operated on 24?

I have used on 5 v and 12 volt relays. I have never heard of 24 volt relay.

No no. My relay operates on 12v. My problem is that, i want to seperate "relay ground" & "controller ground" but I have only one ground with 24V dc.

No no. My relay operates on 12v. My problem is that, i want to seperate "relay ground" & "controller ground" but I have only one ground with 24V dc.

So use two regulator IC, a 7812 to get the 12Vdc and a 7805 to get the 5Vdc.

Just use separate wires (or traces) from 24Vdc/gnd to the two power regulators.
In this way, you'll minimize the effects of the relay spikes.

Last edited:
Using two regulators would mean you have to connect the grounds together.

Here's how to use an opto-isolator.

If you want to power a 12V relay from 24V just connect a resistor in series with a similar value as the relay coil's resistance.

For example, if your relay is 250R, connect a 220R to 270R resistor in series with it.

If you don't know what the the relay coil resistance, look at the datsheet or measure it with a multimeter.

Attachments

• DC opto iso.png
    DC opto iso.png
    689 bytes · Views: 300
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back