Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Got a CB radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...he says we will get lightening strikes as we are so high up, ...

The Old Man is right, LG. Lightning is a serious problem for any antenna and you are well advised to do everything possible to protect against the strikes that, without a doubt, will happen. I would strongly suggest you avoid using any tree as an element of your antenna or its support system.

Think about what you've been told to do if you happen to get caught in a thunder storm. I know I was told to NEVER take shelter under a tree. It is incredibly sound advice.

You should put every bit as much research and effort into lightning protection (more, actually) as you would, I'm sure, put into the antenna itself, assuming your dad ever allows it.

Peaking the RF output isn't going to move the S meter any real amount on other people's receivers. You are dealing with power out in DB and it's logrithmic in nature so you'd need 10 times the input power to effect a minute change on the listener's end. Increasing a radio's RF output will rob current from the radio's power supply which will then reduce the % of modulation.... it's a dog chasing it's tail scenario. What you want is to have your radio appear to be like the lighthouse that has a bright flashing beacon easily seen from a distance instead of a steady light seen from a distance. The flashing beacon gets the attention (loud modulation that cuts thru the chatter/noise) versus a steady signal that gets mixed in with the muddle of everyone else. Increasing your power supply current will not make a difference, be it 10A or 20A. You are limited to the drive current/specs. of the RF finals and the Pi network to suppress spurious emissions. My mobile radio outputs just 2 watts, swings to 10 watts AM carrier with full modulation across a wide audio bandwidth and has forward modulation. On SSB it's 28 watts. The meter needle swings wildly and the signal peaks are clean. Listeners say it sounds very good and I get an average transmit distance of 9-10 miles reliably (AM) and 30-40miles (SSB) from a mobile transceiver in motion!! Another radio I have has 10W steady output with nary 60% modulation and listeners claim it's average sounding and gets lost in the heavy communications traffic at times-- basically it sucks. Now my good radio (Ranger AR3500) outputs well over 150W with loud/clear modulation be it AM/SSB. It gets excellent reports. Remember that when you read articles and posts of RF tweaking, often you are dealing with PEP Peak Envelope Power ratings.... not steady carrier output which is a much lower number.

I have thought about it and I only need lightening protection in storms and that, so my latest idea is when its raining hard or heavy storms, I will get dad to stand on the roof of the outbuilding and hold the antenna, if he has good reflexes then all he has to dois point the antenna at the ground as soon as he see's the lightening coming ;), I havnt told him yet of my latest plan!
only real protection thats cheap is to have a connector in the coax run and disconnect in bad weather or when not in use. But I do like the DAD plan :D.

ok so amps are out, What can I do to enhance reception etc? apart from the obvious tune up etc, I might have a go at testing it to see what frequency it actually is on, if its off I will have a go at tuning it. I have been looking for schematics for digital SWR meters or analogue ones, but nothing really takes my fancy yet, best solution would be to read up on SWR etc and then design and build my own.
I dont drink Tea or coffee but have salvaged a kettle from a packing case, :D, I wonder how hard it would be to sneak the fridge out of the boat :D

Sort of thing I'dve done!
Lightening conductors will increase your safety too, you want a conductor higher than the aerial to offer a lower resistance to ground, this is a bit of a special subject though you'd better do a bit of reading up.

To improve your range I'd reccomend you use a 1/4 wave aerial, you can buy them fairly cheap, cbers call them tank whips, you can make your own fairly easily too, you'll also need a ground plane, you can buy these but its a lot cheaper making one, 3 bits of co-ax or as a mate of mine did very successfuly and old car door!, if your on a farm you'll probably have a bit of wriggly tin or metal clad lying around.

what about a 3/4 antenna or a 5/8th? I have some old corrugated sheeting I could use as a ground plane. Or I could mount it on the mobile home!!! and use the roof as a big ground plane :D

but does in also increase what I can hear? I mean does the amp work both ways?
Some linear amps have pre amps for the receiver too.
As far as lighting, you need to use proper grounding, but the only guarantee is disconnecting the antenna cable in a storm. But what if you are not there when a storm hits?

Simples I will disconnect whenever I am not using, just got to get in the habit of making it the last thing I do when leaving the shack

Well if you got a bit of OCD that shouldn't be a problem. Or will it? o_O

LOL no it wont be a problem, I now have a lock on the door! so it will stay tidy! hunting around for a swivel chair. I also have a notice board in there now. Reading up on Baluns and tuning antenna, not having any luck talking dad into letting me have the spectrum analyzer out there tho!

LG; I thought the shed was flat to the ground. Whats holding it up now? An antenna tower? LOL

LOL it was read back a bit, I have built it back up! its looking really cool. Dad has helped a bit ;)

I posted elsewhere sorry! I have mended it and anchored it down (dad cemented it), I have power to it as well now, and water! few more days and will be ready for pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back