Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good source for 5mm RGB through hole leds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuper

Outside of ebay I cannot seem to find a good source of these components. Even the ones on ebay are listed as "various manufacturers".

I would like to buy a 100 of them and don't feel like spending a buck or more USD a pop.

RGB FULL COLOR 5mm LED-4 LEAD COMMON CATHODE-MPJA, Inc.
68 cents each per 100 count.

Keep looking I'm sure you can find cheaper. MPJA seems to be out of Common Anode right now, they have 1300 of the common cathodes right now though
MPJA has a lot of good stuff, and inexpensive shipping.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

Seems like all of China is on holiday for a couple of weeks, Chinese Newyear and all.

The eBay guys are by far the best source. They've got some pretty cutting-edge parts for cheap!
Be aware of your focusing needs, and that tighter focus raises the mcd number but that doesn't necessarily mean it emits more light overall. Tight focus is a problem for displays meant to be seen from any angle. The unusual "strawhat" domed-top is a 140 deg spread. The "inverted cone" type is a side-emitter, which is particularly good for lights planted inside a diffuser, like patio lights.

Decide whether you want common anode or common cathode. Generally, common anode is significantly simpler to drive.

Led specifications

The eBay guys are by far the best source. They've got some pretty cutting-edge parts for cheap!
Be aware of your focusing needs, and that tighter focus raises the mcd number but that doesn't necessarily mean it emits more light overall. Tight focus is a problem for displays meant to be seen from any angle. The unusual "strawhat" domed-top is a 140 deg spread. The "inverted cone" type is a side-emitter, which is particularly good for lights planted inside a diffuser, like patio lights.

Decide whether you want common anode or common cathode. Generally, common anode is significantly simpler to drive.

I plan on using these for general light do-dads that change color. Some will be for a few artists friends the rest to nerd around with and stocking stuffers.

With that in mind seems like I would want to go for the "inverted cone" or side-emitter. Are there any specific attributes, like angles etc?

Bought those ebay common anode RGB's at 18 cents ea. per 100, and includes 600 resistors. Pretty good deal, but they are what they are, which is cheap, bright, and narrow focus.

As mentioned, the straw hat type would be more viewer friendly. The surface mount plc package ones are really nice, but too darn expensive. The wider the angle the better, for the most part, so the pirahna types would be worth considering too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back