Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good site for small motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

What are some good sites for some small motors? The voltage must be below 12 and the amp rating doesnt matter. Thanks

Your local hobby shop has the widest range of highest performance of <12V motors at the lowest price. Getting motors never seems to be the problem......it's usually where you can find a gearbox and the wheels/gears that can mount onto them.

Last edited:
Try jameco's robot store:

**broken link removed**

You seem to like robotics, so this site may be just for you. I will admit, the prices are a bit high, but jameco is great. ;)

Good thing I found this thread before I made my own! I require some standard DC motors for a robotic arm.

For a robotic arm i would suggest stepper motors. Standard DC motors do not have enough accuracy to be used as an arm. Correct me if i am wrong, but the whole point of a robotic arm is precision, right? :)

Marks256 said:
For a robotic arm i would suggest stepper motors. Standard DC motors do not have enough accuracy to be used as an arm. Correct me if i am wrong, but the whole point of a robotic arm is precision, right? :)

If you energize a stepper but hold it in place, it won't move but and without feedback all you can assume in your control system is that it did. Either way, you need feedback, in which case a DC motor probably wins since you can probably find a gearbox more easily and move in smaller increments than a stepper.

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
If you energize a stepper but hold it in place, it won't move but and without feedback all you can assume in your control system is that it did. Either way, you need feedback, in which case a DC motor probably wins since you can probably find a gearbox more easily and move in smaller increments than a stepper.

Every robotic arm i have seen have had heavy duty stepper motors in them (with gears, of course).

I've never seen one that uses steppers before. Either way, doesn't really matter since you need feedback on both and if you need feedback on both, you need a computer, and if you have a computer you can hold position with either.

Marks256 said:
Every robotic arm i have seen have had heavy duty stepper motors in them (with gears, of course).

Like 'dknguyen' I've never seen one with steppers either, you need positional feedback so you know where the arm is, a stepper is useless for that.

Well, it was going to be controlled manually with switches, with extremes only. Its not a true robotic arm, but more-so of a robotic hand, with each finger controlled individually. I consulted with some people assisting me, and they want to go with DC motors, due to their ease of operation. Thanks

Nigel Goodwin said:
Like 'dknguyen' I've never seen one with steppers either, you need positional feedback so you know where the arm is, a stepper is useless for that.

That seems odd to me. I am not sure of the type of robot the OP is making; however, in my experience with DIY CNC and professional robotics at work, the positioners are mostly stepper motors. Most of the professional robotic arms have feedback. The feedback is either directly off the motor shaft or is optical at the moved object. The home DIY often lack feedback.

The steppers certainly allow fine adjustment, particularly with gear or belt drives.

Edit: Oops. Just noticed the OP was not asking about robotics per se. That was a subsequent post. As for small motors, there are many surplus sites, such as:

https://www.allelectronics.com/
**broken link removed**
https://www.surpluscenter.com/electric.asp

John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back