Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Good quality ATX power supply and unused age related problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tronitech

I have several good quality ATX computer power supplies (Corsair, Thermaltake, etc) that I reviewed for a website over five years ago that I want to sell on ebay. My question is after sitting in their boxes for over five years and having been initially used for only a couple of hours are there any possible problems? I suppose it's the electrolytic capacitors that concern me the most. Unfounded?

I'm hoping I've got lots of unused age related problems left. Sorry.

Mike.

Perhaps I should of worded it better. :)

Can you forsee any problems with these ATX power supplies sitting unused for 5 years or longer?

Perhaps I should of worded it better. :)

Can you forsee any problems with these ATX power supplies sitting unused for 5 years or longer?
All materials have a half life and the entire supply will eventually decay into a block of iron, even elements lighter than iron, apparently through a different process.

I think the answer is that no one is sure. The storage conditions will play a large part of the answer.

Mike.

While it is hard to give a direct answer I have PSUs laying around here I tested for reviews about 20 years ago. They all work just fine. I also had an old Cooler Master PSU which failed miserably after a year of service on a relatively light load so go figure. In your case, short of a crystal ball, I would offer a buyer a 6 month (or number of your choosing based on asking price) money return guarantee.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back